Let's Go Barbie

Enid and Kali agreed to meet in the school library to use the computers to begin their internet search for Asclepius. They had planned to walk there together after breakfast, but Enid had forgotten her phone in her dorm so she head back while Kali went on.

When Enid got to the library, she walked up to Kali whose back was to her as she sat at the computer. She noticed the penguin and panda stuffed animals she won her in the hood of her hoodie. It made her smile. "Have you named them yet?" She asked as plopped down in the seat next to her.

"What?" Kali asked confused.

"The penguin and panda. Have you named them yet?"

"I'm supposed to name them?"

"You don't have to, but people usually do name their stuffed animals."

Kali pulled the two stuffed animals out of her hood so she could look at them. "How do I name them?"

Enid shrugged. "You just pick a name you like."

"Then I'll name the penguin Enid."

Enid's face began to heat up. "Huh?"

Kali turned to her. "You said to pick a name I like, and yours is my favorite."

"Okay," Enid said shakily as she tried to get her red face and rapidly beating heart under control.

Kali looked back down at the panda. "This one can be Enid Junior." Enid didn't know what to say and Kali turned to her in question. "Is that okay with you?"

Enid nodded, not trusting her voice at the moment. "Mhm." She cleared her throat. "Let's just get started, shall we?" She turned to the computer and booted it up.

It was silent for a moment as Kali put her penguin and panda back into her hood. She then watched Enid sign in. "Thanks for this by the way," Kali said.

Enid shot her a confused glance. "What do you mean?"

"For helping me look for Asclepius. Thank you."

"You don't have to thank me for that. I'll always help you." She pulled up google sheets and began to name it.

"Also I'm sorry."

Enid stopped typing and turning to Kali. "Why are you sorry?"

Kali looked away embarrassed. "Yoko said I could've been nicer yesterday since you Wednesday are only trying to save someone you care about just like I am."

"So then you take back what you said?" Enid asked hopefully.

"No, I still meant it. About dying." She turned back to Enid. "You have to understand, Enid. I don't know how to live in a world without Rhea. Where I'm not protecting her. She's the reason I've stayed alive for so long, even before I made the deal so she wouldn't fight. My purpose in life is to protect her. If she dies, I don't have a purpose anymore. And what's life without purpose?"

"Whatever you make it." Enid grabbed Kali's gloved hand and rubbed her thumb over the back of it. "That's the beautiful thing about life, Kali. There's no set path you have to take. No one way to live. You get to choose what your purpose is. And that purpose can change. Even if you lose Rhea, you have me...and Wednesday and Yoko and Bianca and Divina and Eugene and even Kent and Ajax. You have so many more people than just Rhea now. And we can be your new purpose until you can find your own, okay?"

Kali looked down at their hands. A different way to live? A new purpose? It all sounded like a far off dream. But maybe Kali needed to start dreaming a little. "I won't promise anything." She looked back up at Enid. "About living if Rhea dies. But I'll think about it."