Life Lessons

The next morning, there was a large box waiting for Wednesday outside the door when she opened it. She picked it up and saw the return label was for home. Grandmama had finally sent her the teleporter. She walked it to her bed so she could open it.

"What is that?" Enid asked as tightened her tie.

"The teleporter." Wednesday opened the box with her pocket knife.

"It's that big?!"

"No." She pulled out another slightly smaller box. "Grandmama simply thinks she's a comedian." She opened it and pulled out another box.

Enid, realizing what Grandmama had done, began to laugh. "Omg, I love your Grandmama."

"I thought I loved her too. I'm beginning to reconsider. I'm going to be here a while."

Enid's head tilted to the side. "How big is the teleporter anyway?"

"About the size of a taser."

Her eyes widened. "Oh yeah, you've got a ways to go." She pulled out her phone to check the time. "We gotta get to breakfast though. Or are you gonna skip to do this?"

Wednesday huffed. "I'll finish after school. Let's go." They headed to the cafeteria and grabbed their food before sitting with the others.

Enid slid into the conveniently left open spot next to Kali. "Kali, I'm going to teach you how to live."

Kali only looked at her confused while Yoko choked on the blood she was drinking. Once she stopped coughing she asked, "What is this, How I Met Your Mother?"

Enid decided to ignore her. "It's come to my attention that you are inexperienced in the world and need guidance, and so I shall guide you. You're welcome."

Kali just turned to Wednesday. "What about my sister? You said it would only take a few days to get what you need."

"Oh yeah," Enid remembered. "The teleporter is—"

"Taking longer than expected," Wednesday cut her off. "It will be here Friday night. We can go to the prison on Saturday."

"Okay." Kali turned back to Enid. "I suppose you can teach me how to live in the meantime."

Enid gave a strained smile, confused as to why Wednesday was lying. "Right, awesome." Kali went back to eating and Enid looked at Wednesday who was already watching her. She gave a slight shake of her head and Enid knew she would have to ask when they're alone.

"So can I tag along for this...living lessons?" Yoko asked Enid. Then she grinned. "Unless...you wanted it to just be the two of you?"

Kali raised an eyebrow at her. "Why would she want that?"

Enid gritted her teeth and gave a fake smile to Yoko. "Yeah, Yoko, why would I want that?"

Yoko smiled smugly as she shrugged, earning her a slap upside the head from Divina. "You can't even go, Yoko, you have plans with me. Remember?" She gave Yoko a look telling her she had to go along with it.

Yoko sighed. "Yup, we just have so many plans, don't we?"

Bianca smirked. "Well, I'm free-eee—" Bianca stretched the word with gritted teeth as Divina kicked her shin— "to get some studying done. Yippie."

Enid turned to Divina and mouthed "thank you" to her. Divina shot her a wink in return.

—————

After fourth period, Enid headed back to her dorm to do her homework before she goes to meet up with Kali. She told Kali that they would begin "teaching her how to live" after her reading and writing lessons with Eugene.