| 22

The moon hung low in the night sky, casting a silvery glow over the city as a carriage pulled over at an unknown location towards the outskirts of Veridian. Madeline alighted from the carriage, wearing a dark hooded cloak. She dismissed the coach, watching the carriage move away from her.

 When the carriage was at a reasonable distance from her. She then stealthily made her way through empty streets and passed a dimly lit alley. Her destination was a well-guarded secret, as Guinevere had told her before she left Veridian.

A secret cult that promised knowledge, power, and the fulfillment of desires beyond imagination. She had been tempted by their promises and wanted to partake in the experience.

Finally, she reached an unnoticeable door in a narrow alley of an old, vacant building. Madeline took a deep breath, her heart pounding with apprehension. She knew, after she went through that door, that there was no going back.

Madeline hesitated for a moment, thinking about the gravity of her decision. She knew that stepping through that door would lead her down a path of uncertainty and potential consequences. But she wasn't too concerned about the cons of the situation.

With determination, Madeline pushed the door open and entered a dimly lit room. The air inside had a weighty feeling, and the walls were adorned with strange symbols and ancient writings. Hooded figures moved about, their identities concealed, and the atmosphere felt heavy and solemn.

Before Madeline could venture deeper, a hooded person, distinct in a crimson cloak unlike the others, came up to her. "What are you doing here?"

"I am new here!" Madeline answered in a firm tone. Madeline assumed he held some authority in the organization.

"Passcode?" He asked in an inquisitive tone, his eyes scrutinizing Madeline.

"Azazel!" Madeline immediately answered.

The crimson-cloaked figure studied Madeline for a moment, his gaze fixed on her, searching for signs of deceit. Satisfied with her response, he nodded and stepped aside, allowing her to proceed.

"Welcome," he murmured as Madeline passed by him in a composed manner. The hooded figure glanced at her moving figure.

Just another one fueled by greed.

Madeline went deeper. She could not help but admire the dark and ominous ambience of the place. It was somewhat mystical to her. Whispers filled the air. Hooded figures huddled in small groups, engaged in discussions.

Madeline held onto the hope that this secretive cult wasn't a scam. She cautiously approached a gathering of hooded figures who seemed to be in the midst of an elaborate ceremony. Their voices were low; their mumbled chants and the flickering candlelight added an ominous glow to their surroundings.

Madeline positioned herself behind the crowd, granting her a clear view to quietly observe everything that happens in their midst.

A hooded figure stood at the center of the crowd. "The Dark Lord approaches!"

As the hooded figure at the center of the crowd made the announcement, a collective silence fell upon the crowd, and in unison, they all knelt and lowered their heads, pressing their foreheads against the floor in a sign of deep reverence.

As Madeline observed him still standing, a masked figure came to the center of the assembly. Their cloak was black and red with intricate designs that depicted their status as the so-called 'Dark Lord'.

They stood at the center of the assembly and suddenly turned toward her. Their eyes were concealed behind an intricate mask adorned with symbols. Their gaze pierced through her, and it felt as if they could see into the depths of her soul.

"Who dares to refuse to show reverence to me?" Their voice resonated with authority. Madeline felt the pressure of their gaze as a bead of sweat formed on her forehead. She immediately knelt and lowered her head.

For once in her life, she has never felt a presence so intimidating. She could still feel their gaze on her, and she knew she might have offended the Dark Lord. She gulped; she didn't want to die. She still wanted to witness Amelia's downfall.

"You must be new!" The Dark Lord spoke with a bit of arrogance in his voice: "You must have heard of my great deeds!"

"Yes, indeed, the Dark Lord is great!" The other people there mindlessly chanted as the Dark Lord chuckled.

"Yes, I come seeking knowledge and power," Madeline replied, her head still to the ground and her voice unwavering. "I wish to join your ranks and partake in the secrets you hold."

The Dark Lord studied her small, shivering figure for what felt like an eternity before nodding. "Very well, initiate. Your journey begins now. But remember, once you step further into our world, there is no turning back. You may rise."

With those ominous words, Madeline was formally initiated into the cult, as the rest of her cult associates rose with her, wondering how she got accepted into the cult so easily without further questioning.

The cult members observed her wearily before turning their gaze to the Dark Lord.

"Welcome, seeker of knowledge. Are you prepared to commit yourself to the path of enlightenment?"

Madeline's heart raced as she nodded, her voice resolute. "I am ready."

The Dark Lord gestured for her to step into the circle, and as she did, the candles flickered to life, casting an eerie glow around her.

"Hold my hand!" The Dark Lord commanded with an outstretched hand. Madeline took their hands, noticing how smooth their hands are. She wondered whose face existed behind that intricate mask they wore.

The arcane circle glowed dark purple as she held the Dark Lord's hand. A searing pain was felt in her upper right arm. She grunted in pain as she held the aching area.

"It's done!" The Dark Lord said, "You are now one of my devout followers!"

Madeline's heart raced with anticipation and unease at the declaration.

With her initiation into the secret cult now complete, Madeline couldn't deny the adrenaline coursing through her veins.

The Dark Lord released her hand, and she stepped back, her arm still throbbing from the ritual. She glanced around at the masked figures, her fellow followers, and wondered what they all sought in this hidden realm.

"Welcome, Madeline," the Dark Lord said again, their voice filled with an eerie mix of authority and allure. "You have taken the first step on a journey that will lead you to unimaginable heights. Embrace your newfound power, and together, we shall shape our destinies."

Madeline nodded, her heart filled with a mixture of excitement and apprehension as he said her name. She never revealed her name. Now she had entered a clandestine world of mysteries, and she was determined to navigate through it.
____________________________________________

The next morning~

The sunlight filtered through the curtains of her spacious bedroom, casting a warm glow over the elegant furnishings.

Amelia stood before the ornate mirror, her reflection framed by her cascading reddish-gold hair. Emma held out a pair of dresses to choose from. A baby pink one and a light red one, both very simple designs, perfect for the winter season. She didn't want to seem overdressed for a casual meeting with her friends.

Amelia chose the baby pink dress, and Emma got to work, picking out accessories to pair with the dress.

After she was done dressing up, She admired her reflection, pleased with the result. She wore their friendship necklace, staring at it fondly in the mirror. Her features were enhanced without looking overdone. Ready to face the day, Amelia made a confident pose in the mirror.
____________________________________________

As Eliza, Victoria, and Amelia strolled through the snow-covered streets (much to Emma's chagrin), bundled up in warm coats and scarves

The winter air had a certain enchantment to it. The city's usual hustle and bustle seemed to quiet down beneath the blanket of snow, and their footsteps made a soft crunch in the snow.

"Isn't it just peaceful?" Eliza remarked, her breath visible in the chilly air.

Amelia nodded in agreement, her cheeks rosy from the cold. "A walk is nice." she said with a smile.

Victoria, pulled her scarf tighter around her neck. "It's freezing; besides, you both suggested that it might clear our minds but I can't wait to get back inside where it's warm," she said, rubbing her palms together to generate warmth.

"You don't like the cold?" Amelia asked Victoria, concerned

"Who does?" Victoria replied, "I just wanted to look cool, but I can't take it anymore. I am freezing!" Her voice shook as she trembled due to the cold.

"Well, let's stop at a shop for a while until you warm up." Eliza chuckled.

As they continued their walk, they decided to stop at a cozy cafe they had spotted. The warm aroma of freshly brewed tea and other beverages was inviting, although the cafe was empty and there was no one at the counter.

"Finally!" Victoria sighed, relieved, as they began to shed their coats and scarves. They settled into a corner booth, their eyes searching for the owner of the cafe or at least a waiter, but no one was available.

"Why would the owner leave their shop unattended too?" Amelia began observing the dainty shop.

"I have no idea as well." Eliza answered, still puzzled about the empty shop left open.

"Maybe it's because the shop is only meant to attract specific customers." They heard a familiar, eerie voice behind the booth they were in.

"Customers like you!" They turned at the same time toward the sound of the voice. It was that old lady they met in their past lives in the Darklane district.

"No way!"

"What!?"

"How could this be?" They all said simultaneously as they witnessed the creepy lady, whom they once knew as the head shaman of the Darklane district.

"Sorry for bothering you, ma'am, but we are leaving already." Victoria chuckled nervously as they stood from their seats, about to take their coats and leave.

They didn't want to risk anything further. Their present lives took a different course than the first; events were unpredictable, but the similarities were unsettling. They felt that if they stayed long enough, something bad might happen to them, like in their first life.

"Wait!!!" The woman inquired desperately in order to make them stay. "Won't you order something, like tea or hot chocolate?"

"No worries, ma'am." Amelia shrugged as they grabbed their coats and headed to the door.

"But I haven't had customers all day!" The woman decided to play on their emotions, trying to guilt-trip them to stay.

"Well, next time, always stay at the counter to welcome customers. Who would want to patronize an empty shop?" Victoria retorted back, stunning the old woman with her remarks. They went out of the cafe, going down the same path they had taken.

"I gave you those necklaces you are wearing!" The woman ran after them, then screamed on top of her voice. The three stopped to look at her.

"You gave us our necklaces?" Amelia questioned the poor lady, who had a coughing fit, after making a scene out in the open.

"So that means you know?" Eliza asked further. The woman nodded.

"How can we trust you?" Victoria asked in a tone filled with caution. Once bitten, twice shy.

"I promise not to creep you out, and there will also be snacks. Just anything for the safety of the realm!" The woman made a cross over her chest, reassuring the three women who had no idea what she said.

Amelia, Eliza, and Victoria looked amongst themselves before following the woman back into the cafe.
____________________________________________

She served them each hot chocolate with a cheese cake at the center of the table they sat at.

"This was how she served us in our last life!" Victoria stated, her voice dropped to a whisper that only the two other women could hear.

"She's being nice." Eliza defended her. The old lady came back and sat among them. They all sat at a circular table; the atmosphere was rather tense due to the three women's apprehension.

"So I gave you those necklaces." The old lady started. "They were a gift from the light goddess Aurora."