thirty-three

our embrace was ruined by harlow.

"jonah..." he started hesitantly.  they immediately whipped their head around to glare at him.

"what?" they snapped. "are you gonna tell me not to touch or even talk to my only daughter? our only daughter! who we thought was dead!" their voice slowly became a growl. their hand still rested on my shoulder, filling me with a comforting feeling despite the situation.

harlow shook his head sadly. "of course not," he said sadly, glancing at me. "i just don't want you to get so attached, when..." he paused and looked away, refusing to meet my eyes.

i finally found my voice. "when what? what's going to happen?"

he winced. "well... alpha will organize a meeting with the leader of the witches... i mean, y-your mate, and then he'll trade you in return for peace. and we'll probably never see you again," he mumbled.

"why not?" i growled.

jonah sniffled, and i realized they were crying again. 

"because, you're the witch alpha's mate. maybe we could look past it if it was just any other witch, but her... we'd be thrown out of the pack for even trying to contact you," harlow still wouldn't make eye contact.

"but-" i meant to argue, but i paused and winced as a wave of stress, anxiety, and overwhelming concern washed over me. i held my head as the sudden onslaught created a headache.

billie, i realized. they were her emotions.

"shit," i muttered, stumbling onto the couch in the room, in too much pain to ask if it was okay.

"what? what's wrong?" harlow was snappy in his stress. jonah gasped, and sat next to me, their hands swiping hair away from my face.

i was reminded of when billie would do that to me, and a pang of longing made me whimper. all my emotions felt heightened; i wondered why.

"n-nothing," i finally responded. "billie's freaking out," i mumbled, mostly to myself.

they both looked confused, and glanced at each other. understanding dawned on both their faces at the same time, so i assumed they must have been talking through mindlink.

"FUCK!" harlow howled. "allie, take your hoodie off!"

i flinched away, but complied. i was grateful i had decided to put on a cropped tank top underneath this morning.

they both stared at the tattoo on my shoulder. harlow sank to the floor with moan.

"alpha is NOT happy," he whimpered, covering his face.

"you told him already?" jonah asked softly. harlow nodded, and they grasped my arm tightly.

"what's wrong?" i asked, confused. jonah sighed.

"she knows where you are. there's no point," they whispered, shaking their head.

"you mean billie? what's no point?" i grumbled, frustrated.

jonah took a deep breath. "yes, her. our plan doesn't work, because she know exactly where you are. she's probably already coming to get you, isn't she?" they questioned, looking into my eyes.

i nodded. i could tell she was moving, and quickly, probably in a car.

"then it doesn't work. she'll do anything for you, won't she? so there will be more bloodshed. goddess, how could atlas have been so dumb?" jonah groaned.

harlow shuddered from his place on the floor. "careful, jonah. don't speak of our alpha like that," he cautioned, eyes flashing with concern.

"but... i'm so confused! billie always made it seem like the werewolves were the bad guys, that you were always picking them off, one by one..." i bent over and grasped my hair in my hands, so confused.