twenty-one

my alarm beeping obnoxiously woke me up.

i groaned, shutting my eyes tight.

just five more minutes...

but the steadily increasing volume and beeps forced me to lift my head sleepily and sit up, rubbing my eyes.

having your alarm clock out of reach of your bed is good for waking up, but possibly the most annoying thing in the universe.

i stood up slowly, thankfully avoiding a head rush from laying down so long and stretched a bit. then i walked to my clock and slammed my hand down on it, making a small satisfied noise when it shut up.

i heard a small laugh from behind me, making me almost jump out of my skin.

"good morning, little angel," billie chuckled again. i turned around to see her laying in her bed with her hands above her head, holding her phone.

i stared at her in shock for a moment, then jumped back on my bed, picking up my phone. 

"you stayed on call all night?" i asked, pleasantly surprised.

she smiled and nodded. "you're adorable when you sleep, by the way-"

i cut her off. "yeah, yeah, whatever. i thought you said you were gonna hang up when i fell asleep?" 

she shrugged. "sure, but like i said, you had the cutest face and i didn't feel like hanging up, and then i fell asleep too," she chuckled.

i bit my tongue, then sighed. "everyone tells me i talk in my sleep," i admitted.

she let out a small, breathy laugh. "i didn't hear anything, but if it makes you uncomfortable i won't mention if i hear anything in the future," she reassured me.

i raised my eyebrows. she'd implied she'd be watching me sleep again.

"in the future?" i echoed.

she smirked and nodded. "'course, soon as i convince you to get in my bed,"

she paused. "that sounded way better in my head," she admitted.

i laughed so hard i snorted. "yeah, you need to learn to think before you speak,"

she huffed. "whatever," she mumbled.

i swept my tongue past my teeth, still smiling. then, i sighed.

"okay, i gotta go get ready for school now," i said, disappointment clear in my tone.

she jutted her lip out in a pout, then smiled again. "alright, see you later babygirl,"

she hung up before i could question her words, leaving me staring at my phone for a few moments.

i shrugged it off, then went to get dressed.

***

billie wasn't at school.

i tried not to feel too disappointed. something probably came up and she'd text me later, explaining. maybe the werewolves attacked today.

but that thought made my chest seize with anxiety. what if the werewolves had attacked today? how would i know if she was okay?

i forced myself to think positively. billies' strong, and she has good fighting technique. i'd seen her take down a guy probably a foot taller and far more muscular just with skill.

i mean, at the time i'd been traumatized watching her repeatedly punch him in the stomach on a table in the middle of the cafeteria, but still.

i didn't let myself think about how strong everyone said werewolves were. i thought i might collapse on the side of the road from a panic attack if i let myself dwell on that.

and their teeth. i'd seen regular wolves teeth up close, imagine what a werewolves would be like, especially coupled with their extremely strong jaws. what if billie- or any witch- got caught in those? it would be game over.

i realized now i'd started to hyperventilate and walk faster. swallowing, i made myself take deep breaths and slow down.

nothing is going to happen, i consoled myself. they've fought the werewolves before, they can do it again.

my racing heart gradually slowed, but even by the time i'd made it home i wasn't fully calm.

i let myself in, kicking off my shoes and running up the stairs to set my bag down.

just then, i heard a loud car horn through my open window. curious, i hopped on my bed and peered through.

idling in my driveway was a matte black car, its owner standing with one foot in the car and one out, beaming up at me.

710 words, unchecked.

i remember some shit in here not making sense but i'm too lazy to go back and check it so-