fourteen

mentions of homophobia

alaska

i'm so sorry about what happened tonight 

i ran my hand through my hair, pulling out the tie that still held half of it up meanwhile.

billie had left about an hour ago, she'd been pretty much kicked out by my parents. i'd tried to apologize before she left, but she'd seemed oddly dismal, even though she told me it wasn't my fault.

i left my head fall into the pillow with a groan. why couldn't my parents be accepting of my sexuality? and why did they have to take it out on billie? i mean, they did invite her over.

it had started out okay, still tense, but no one was hurling insults. then my mom had asked billie if she was trying to corrupt me with thoughts of being homosexual being okay, and if she had a deal with the devil to become my soulmate.

it had sounded so utterly absurd, i was surprised even she believed it.

billie had been shocked by her question, she'd stared at her in stunned silence for a few moments before saying that being homosexual was okay, and asking why she thought she had a pact with the devil.

it had escalated quickly from there. my mom stood and started hurling insults at both of us, mainly billie, but there was certainly a few for me as well.

my dad had tried to hold her back, then advised billie to leave. she listened, and went to leave without even a glance at me.

as i said before, i'd gone to apologize before she left, but she hadn't seemed to hear me, instead looking over my shoulder and saying it was fine.

i heard my phone buzz and took a deep breath before looking up to read the message.

billie

it's okay love, it wasn't your fault.

relief coursed through my veins. the pet names were back.

alaska

you're not mad at me? i guess i should've warned you that my parents are slightly homophobic.

billie

of course not, this isn't your fault in any way.

billie

besides, how could i be mad at my angel?

an involuntary smile crept onto my face at her last message. but i was unsure of how to reply, so i just liked it and went to get ready for bed.

after brushing my teeth and putting my sleep clothes back on, i went back to my bed and glanced at me phone, seeing another unread message.

billie

i'm going to bed now, i'll see you tomorrow. sweet dreams pretty girl

i liked it, then plugged my phone in, turned on do not disturb, and set it down on my desk.

i crawled back to my bed and under the blankets, drifting off easily.

***

i yawned tiredly. cadence gave me a weird look.

"what's up with you? you've been yawning all day. how late were you up last night?"

i shrugged. "not too late, maybe eleven-thirty,"

megan snorted. "that's late, hun,"

i glared at her, then burst out laughing. victoria joined in as well, but cadence and megan just exchanged an amused look with each other.

"alright, i'd better head to class now, i'll see you dumbasses later," cadence called over her shoulder as she walked away.

victoria took her leave as well, leaving megan and i standing alone. we glanced awkwardly at each other, then a few snickers escaped our lips again, before once more turning into loud laughs over nothing.

once i'd managed to calm down, i waved goodbye to megan and walked myself to first class.

580 words, unchecked.

this is soft and i love it and enjoy your double update and i need to get some sleep but i'm not going to.