twenty-eight

december 30, monday

"allie, wake up!" a rough shove that nearly rolled me right off the bed, plus frantic shouting, is what i woke up to.

i opened my eyes blearily to billie, glaring angrily. "the fuck was that f-"

she cut me off. "fucking finally! no time to explain, put these on and hurry!" she threw a hoodie and my shorts at me, then ran out the door, leaving me alone in her bedroom.

even though i was confused, i did as she asked, noticing meanwhile she'd tossed me her own hoodie and not one of mine.

i chuckled lightly as i slipped it on. billie was always trying to get me to wear her clothes, i wouldn't have been surprised to find out all her panic had been fake just so i would put it on.

i also found it amusing that she hadn't given me a shirt or a bra, but i guess if we really were in a hurry she wouldn't want to waste any time on "things  that weren't necessary," as she once put it.

i combed through my hair briefly with my fingers, then went to find billie waiting by the door with a bag.

she didn't speak, just handed me my shoes then took my hand and led me outside to her car. i noticed finneas was in the drivers' seat with his girlfriend claudia next to him.

billie opened the door for me, seeming antsy. she scooted in quickly once i'd sat down.

she didn't give me a chance to put my seatbelt on before she did it herself, finneas already driving away.

"what's going on?" i questioned.

she bit her lip, then placed her face in her hands, taking in a shuddering breath. 

"billie?" I asked, worried. "are you okay?"

she lifted her head and smiled weakly at me. "we're gonna be fine, allie. shit's just moving faster than i'd originally planned," she told me.

i looked at her in confusion. "werewolves?" i asked quietly. she nodded, then buried her head suddenly into my neck, resting her chin on my shoulder after a moment and wrapping her arms tightly around my waist.

i stiffened, then forced myself to relax and awkwardly lifted my arms around her shoulders, patting her back lightly.

from my neck, i heard her let out a snicker before she brought her face to mine, releasing my waist just enough to do this.

"you suck at this, you know?" she teased me, causing a blush to inevitably rise on my cheeks.

"sorry," i mumbled in embarrassment. "i've never had to do this before,"

she licked her lips and smiled at me, lifting one hand to brush my hair out of my face. "it's not your fault, babygirl,"

then, she bit her lip and looked down, letting go of me and running her hand through her hair with a sigh.

"allie, there's some... shit we have to do when we get there," she said, sounding reluctant. "but it's all to keep you safe, i promise," she added.

a little annoyed, i answered a tad curtly. "get where? and i can take care of myself, you know,"

her jaw ticked slightly to the side, but there was amusement in her eyes. "can't you guess? it's about time you see where the rest of my family lives, babygirl,"

my eyes widened slightly, and billie laughed lightly at me. we sat in silence for the rest of the drive, only moving when billie undid my seatbelt to pull me onto her lap. needless to say, i turned into a tomato.

***

"hold my hand, look down, and stay close behind me until we're inside, got that?"

i nodded, eyes wide as i looked down at billie, standing on the ground just outside the car.

she gripped my hand, roughly at first but softening slightly at my shocked expression, then helped me quickly out of the van.

immediately, we were surrounded by unfamiliar people. i let billie guide me through the loud crowd, though i was entirely unable to make out what they were saying.

i squeezed my eyes shut tight for a moment, longing for another moment of peace as we'd had plenty of on the drive here. but i was snapped out of my small trance as i stumbled over someones' foot.

billie quickly stabilized me, then dragged me forwards once more. i knew she didn't mean to be rough, but it stung a bit nonetheless.

i could see finneas' feet close beside mine, his steady presence there reassured me somewhat.

suddenly, the clamour was a sound in the background. the ground underneath me had switched to carpet. i glanced up tentatively, relaxing once i realized we must be "inside".

i had hardly a moment, however, before finneas spun to face billie, eyes blazing.

"billie, we can't go on like this! you have to mark her, now!"

816 words, unchecked.

um- hi 😳

3-5 chapters left, nothing of which i have written :')