twenty-six

december 20, friday

alaska

my leg was bouncing up and down nervously as i stared at the dotted text bubble, indicating she was writing a response to my message. 

but a moment later, it disappeared and i groaned in frustration and sadness.

i hadn't seen billie for almost two weeks, not since she had taken me home after my soccer practice on the fifth.

at first, she texted me once every day, for probably the first four days. then she disappeared completely until her birthday, when i'd drove over (i'd finally gotten my drivers' license, but i'd had to steal my brothers' car{ a/n: if y'all start singing that song I WILL FIND OUT WHERE YOU LIVE AND MURDER YOU}) with a blanket i'd make with the blohsh character she'd created knitted into it. she'd shown me a necklace she had of it while we were cuddling on her couch, and i'd taken a photo of it.

she wasn't there, finneas had answered and taken from me. he'd seemed outwardly happy, but i had wondered how much of it was just a show. he looked exhausted; dark bags hanging under his eyes, and there was a tiredness i'd thankfully never seen in their blue depths. i had also noticed a long, thin scab running on the back of his arm at a slant from his elbow to his wrist. i hadn't commented though, i wasn't sure how he would take it.

he'd been friendly, as before, telling me with regret weighing down his voice that billie wasn't home right now and that he'd give to her when she came home. i hadn't had the willpower to argue, mostly because i was extremely awkward while talking to him and i didn't think it would get me anywhere.

the next day around eleven p.m, billie had called me and thanked me for the blanket, saying she was going to sleep with it every night. it had been a short call, less than a minute even and i'd hardly even gotten a chance to say 'you're welcome' before she'd said goodbye and hung up. it left me feeling lonely and wondering how if she really would be sleeping with it as much as she made it seem.

today, i'd asked her what was going on. i'd been waiting anxiously all day for a reply, and had opened my phone at one point to see the dotted text bubble signaling a response was been typed. but then i'd gotten nothing.

i whimpered quietly, tucking my phone back into my pocket and dragging my feet home. i didn't even look forward to christmas and the break that came with it, i had a good feeling any feelings that would've been happy and festive in previous years would be weighed down with worry and annoyance for my girlfriend.

before i entered my house, though, victoria called me over from the other side of the street. i glanced over my shoulder to see her sprinting across the road from her house, megan following at a leisurely pace behind her.

i waited for them on my porch, foot tapping impatiently. i just wanted to cuddle up on my bed with a blanket and billies' hoodie that i'd managed to smuggle away when she wasn't looking and take a nap.

when she reached me, she doubled over, panting. it took her long enough to recover for megan to reach us as well.

"wanna...hang...out with...us?" victoria gasped, taking in a slow deep breath and letting it out to stabilize herself.

i bit my lip, thinking how to refuse politely, when megan chimed in.

"where's billie? you haven't talked about her as much as you usually do recently," she said, with a small smile. megan was usually very easy-going, but when her lid popped off when i say she snaps, she snaps. 

i shrugged. "dunno, probably busy," i'd told them about mine and billies' relationship during our sleepover, they'd been shocked and a little worried at first but once megan said she thought it made sense victoria had calmed down a lot.

victoria furrowed her brow. "she doesn't text you?"

i just shrugged again, letting them know by my lack of response it wasn't up for debate.

she sighed. "okay, well do you wanna come get bubble tea with u-"

"no," and with that, i shut the door in her face.

i felt a little bad after, but i was sad and in my feelings and i didn't wanna be with anyone unless it was billie.

after throwing my bag carelessly into a corner and slipping the hoodie on, i decided to text victoria and apologize for my behaviour.

but when i picked up my phone, there was already a text on it.

billie

can you come over tomorrow for a few days? (maybe a week) i'll pick u up at 8