twenty-nine

she glared back at him, a steely look in her eye.

"we can wait a bit longer, it won't do anymore harm," she insisted. finneas ran a hand through his short ginger hair in frustration. meanwhile, i glanced back and forth between the two of them in confusion.

"look, i understand it's a big thing for you, allie especially," he said, closing his eyes briefly. "but it has to be done. not just so our family is at ease, you know how dangerous it is for her right now. you know what atlas has done before,"

billies' expression was swapped quickly, her defiant one now sorrowful. she met my bewildered gaze, but spoke still to her brother.

"i know, finn, soon. i promise. but allie doesn't understand yet, she'll need time to take it in," she said softly, barely audible.

he looked to me, his face softening. "of course, but you can't wait long billie,"

she nodded, and he left, casting one last look over us before turning and disappearing into one of the many hallways surrounding us.

she sighed, a small smile crossing her lips. "c'mon, babygirl, let's go find a room and then i'll tell you everything, alright?" she leaned forward and took my hand gently.

i nodded, numb, and followed her into the same hallway finneas had disappeared through, hardly taking in any of the huge white walls and tall ceiling, all sprinkled with art of all kinds.

she sat me down on a bed in one of the many rooms. it was huge, but i didn't spare it more than a glance, keeping my attention focused on billie.

she sat down beside me, resting an arm around my waist.

"okay. right. do you want to know why we're here first, or what marking is?" she asked, tilting my chin up slightly with her free hand.

truthfully, i was more curious about marking. was it what i thought? but i thought that wasn't the best thing to address first.

"why we're here," my voice was soft and hoarse. i cleared my throat.

she nodded. "well, you know we're in a war with werewolves right now. except you don't know anything of how we fight them, and i don't plan on ever telling you all of it, but to understand i'll have to explain a little,"

she paused, brow furrowed slightly, then continued:

"some witches, with very advanced magic, can change form. into an animal, an insect, or some random creature no one has ever seen. and with this kind of magic, they can take on the werewolves second form. the only problem is, they can't shift nearly as fast or as smoothly as real wolves. so, if a witch were to infiltrate their ranks as a spy, they would have to be able to shift out of sight every time,"

she stopped again to catch her breath. i stared at her with wide eyes.

she smiled reassuringly, then went on once more. "one of our spies got caught because of this last week. the alpha of the pack tortured him for information-"

i cut her off with a gasp, but i couldn't move my lips to form words. billie pulled my head to her chest, stroking my hair.

"shhh, it's okay, babydoll. reylan is okay, he's just a little beat up, he made it out," she comforted me, kissing the top of my head.

i nuzzled closer. "o-okay... what next?" i stammered, closing my eyes.

billie sighed. "he was forced to tell the alpha about you," she murmured, then continued before i could interrupt. "it's bad because, i am the next leader of my family. and wolves have very strong ties with their mates from the moment they lock eyes, so they assume we do as well. of course, that can happen. but usually, like our relationship, it develops over time. so the alpha wants... he wants to capture you to use as leverage over me, so that he can get us to surrender,"

i took in a shaky breath. billie pulled me even closer.

"that's why i brought you here, precious. you'll be safe here, i promise. no one will hurt you," she whispered, trailing soft kisses along my cheek and jaw.

i nodded. whatever was happening, i trusted her. if she thought i would be safest here, then i believed that.

"and...and what did finneas mean, you have to mark me?" i looked up at her through my lashes.

she bit her lip. "well, it's another type of magic we do, to keep our soulmates safe. it's a bit like how werewolves mark their mates, only less painful, of course," she chuckled. "it just looks like a tattoo of some sort, usually has an animal on it. it goes over one side of your neck and a shoulder. it's what it does that matters. i'll always know where you are, and same for you. you'll always know where i am. and if either of us feels a very strong emotion, the other will too. but it's the location part that matters right now, if you're marked the alpha won't be able to catch you because i'll always know where to find you,"

she resumed her petting and kissing while i took this in. it didn't sound horrible. i wasn't worried about our relationship falling apart and regretting it, we were soulmates, we would always end up together again at some point. but it was very early in, and all this new information was a little overwhelming.

"i-i think i'm okay with that," i told her, nuzzling even further into her chest. "but i wanna wait a day or so, because this is kinda confusing. and i wanna look at claudias' to make sure it isn't ugly," i giggled, the sound muffled by billies' shirt.

she laughed with me, then pulled my face up to hers, despite my protesting whine, and pressed her lips to mine.

i melted into her, my previous complaints forgotten. i climbed onto her lap, never once breaking the kiss.

billie chuckled against me, pulling away to gaze at me adoringly. i chased her lips with my own, but she placed a finger on them to stop me.

"c'mon precious, let's go find some food, okay? you can kiss me all you want after," she promised, booping my nose lightly.

i pouted, but agreed anyway, and followed her back through the twisting hallways.

1071 words.

did not check this at all so if there are any mistakes point them out and i'l fix lol

BUT OMG LOOK ADIA UPDATED WHHHHHHAAAAAAAATTTT