Chapter 22- Strawberries

Start from the beginning

"We should still post a guard." T-Dog remarks. "He's out cold right now, will be for hours." Hershel says. 

"You know what? I'm gonna go get him some flowers and candy." Shane says, starting to walk away. "Look at this folks-we back in fantasy land! Don't worry Damien, I'll get you some too!"

"You know, we haven't even dealt with what you did at my barn yet." Hershel walks after Shane. "Let me make this perfectly clear, once and for all, this is my farm. Now I wanted you gone but Rick talked me out of it. That doesn't mean I have to like it. So do us a favor, keep your mouth shut." 

Shane doesn't respond, he just sighs and walks out of the house. 

"So what are we doing with Damien?" Andrea asks. 

"We keep him." Alyssa looks at Rick. "Right?" He hesitates and I can feel Damien holding his breath. 

"Yeah. Yeah, he can stay." Alyssa squeals and jumps up and down. She runs up to Rick and hugs him. "Thank you, thank you, thank you, thank you!" She breaks the hug and grabs Damien's hand, "Wanna see the strawberries?!" She tugs him away and out of the house. I smile, everybody looks confused at the strawberry comment. 

"Alyssa was upset that he was eating animals and he said he didn't have strawberries out in the woods." Everybody nods in response. "Let's just cool off for now, we can pick this up later." Rick says to Hershel. 

Everybody disperses, leaving the house. 

I decide to go find Alyssa and Damien, see how good Damien's lighter actually works. 

I walk through Hershel's land, my eyes laying on my bandage on my wrist again. 

I should take it off and see how bad the cuts are. It's been like a day or two, I'm sure they look fine now. 

I abandon the idea of finding Damien and Alyssa and I take a detour to the picnic table. 

I sit down at it and take a deep breath. 

Whatever is on my wrist, don't use that as motivation to do it again.

I grab the end of the wrap and begin unraveling it, my hands shaking slightly. I would do this in the tent, but everybody is preoccupied with something else, so I have a decent amount of privacy. 

I unravel the last layer that lays on my wrist and I just stare. There's dried blood on deep cuts almost all the way up my forearm. The cuts have started to scab so that means I can be without the bandage but looking at it, I don't know if I want to. They're very noticeable and I really don't want Glenn specifically to ask because I don't know if I'd be able to lie to him. 

I sigh at the sight. "Jesus what the fuck is wrong with me?" I whisper, wrapping my wrist back up. 

"Adrian!" Alyssa squeals just as I've finished wrapping my wrist. I turn and see her and Damien coming with two small baskets full of strawberries. 

"Did Hershel say it was okay to take his strawberries?" I ask, standing up. "Yes..." She hesitates. "You gonna tell on us?" Damien raises an eyebrow and smirks. 

"I used to be in a gang and do drugs, I don't tell on nobody. Just hide them in my tent for the time being." 

Damien smiles, "They're really good. Want one?" He offers me a perfectly plump and red strawberry. I smile, "How'd you know?" I take it and bite into it. The taste of strawberry juice fills my mouth. I always forget how much I love strawberries. 

"So...Damien." I say, finishing the strawberry. "About that lighter." He chuckles, "I'll go grab that and the bowl." I smile, "Yay."