61

REY

This is bad. Terribly bad. The moment I saw Luke when I opened the door I knew something was wrong. The sound of this filthy piece of shit's name makes my blood boil in my veins and urges my wolf to appear My mind blurs with one thought. Tearing him to pieces. This pursuit will not end until one of us is dead. And I'll make sure he will be the one who perishes.

However, in the last part of his message – transmitted by Luke – I didn't like it at all. He wants Maxine to be present as well. Automatically I can't think of anything else apart from that he's up to something. I turn to look at Maxine – who is standing a few steps behind me – looking shocked by the nerve of that man. Although she tries to look strong at the threat coming to our doorstep I can read the fear in her eyes.

I look into her eyes for a sign and she just nods at me. She wants to put her fear aside and face him, together.

"It might get dangerous." I turn to her as I close the distance between us and take her hands in mine. Her fingers are cold and her hands are slightly shaking. "I don't want you to come with me. Maybe it's a trap. However, it's your decision and I'll respect whatever you choose." I whisper to her, rubbing with my thumbs the upper side of her palms. She's scared. I can't imagine how she must have felt in the arms of that man before she ends up in our lands.

"I won't show him fear. I have to confront him. That's what we're preparing for, right?" she gives me a faint smile as she squeezes my hands.

I don't know what to say. Although I want her to stay behind, I know my mind will go crazy wondering if she's safe. If I have her with me I'll be in a much better position to think.

"Okay," I nod. "But you have to promise me if anything happens you get immediately behind me."

She leaves a sheepish smile that makes my heart warm as she closes the distance between us, letting her hands go of mine and wrapping them around my neck as she steps on her toes to reach for my lips. Her lips are soft as they brush on mine her feet land back on the ground.

"Shall we?" she says taking a step back and grabbing my hand.

***

The path to the old well is covered with piles of decaying leaves and uneven stones coming out of the moist soil. Maxine is still not used to such kind of paths and I walk beside her, her arm wrapped around my elbow to stabilize herself as we walk through. The moon is two days before full, but still bright enough and close, to illuminate our way with its silver light.

Of course, I wouldn't just bring us here by ourselves. I'm sure Vincent has his men scattered around on the other side of the border watching closely. And that's exactly what mine will do. I ordered Luke Gloria and a few more to keep watch from distance, surrounding the area where the meeting will be held.

After a long way through the forest, we reach the old well. The forest was never before so silent, even in this part of it. Nothing. Nor the light rustle of the leaves as the wind blows through the trees, nor the soft, delicate sounds of the living creatures inhabiting them. Like any form of life is drained from this part of the forest, as drained is the well beneath us. I turn to find Maxine, looking around the naked trees that lack the presence of a single leaf, their branches taking strange forms in the dead of the night.

The sound of dried leaves cracking under the pressure of steps echoes, sending us both alarmed. Maxine's eyes find mine instantly and grabbing her arm, I drag her protectively a few steps back putting her behind me. If this is an ambush it will be quicker to get in front. I expect her to complain or try to resist it but she doesn't. She knows she's stronger than then – and I know it too – but we don't have to come here with all our cards open. Vincent is a devious bastard.

A gasp echoes from her direction and her hand stiffens under my hold. I turn in the direction she's looking. Vincent's pale face comes out of the shadows. A low threatening growl escapes my lips that part to show my canines to the enemy. Every muscle in my body clenches to hold back my rage. I'll have plenty of time to unleash it when the time is right. And I'll show him no mercy.

"Did you miss me?" his filthy voice slithers like a snake into the air. His eyes remain mostly on Maxine while a sinister smile is plastered on his mouth that has dried blood on its corners.