9

MAXINE

I glance out of the window as the car drives through the town to get to the north part of it. The castle is just out of limits, wrapped by a vast land of rocks and trees. Its position on the top of a small hill gives you the impression that it keeps a wakeful eye over the town.

When the bright lights are past us, the car keeps driving until black iron gates appear in the distance on the right. The cab takes the road up past the gates and begins to ascend towards the castle.

Small road lamps were gently illuminating our way up. Trees on both sides of the road were forming an arch as their tips were slightly bending, touching one another. I bend my head and look at the window in front. The castle is majestic, bathed in an eerie light.

Vincent must have a lot of money to make his party in a castle.

I watch as it gets bigger the more we ascend. The cab stops just outside the main entrance, where a small roundabout is, with a fountain in its centre.

The cab driver gets out and opens my door, offering a hand to help me out. I pay him and with careful small steps, I make my way through the entrance.

I feel a knot in my stomach and my breath cuts short. The place is magical. Stone walls with large paintings decorate a long hall on each side. Chandeliers are hanging every few metres, forming a line at the ceiling. The red carpet on the floor is following the same path.

"Welcome to Floresit castle. Can I take your coat please?" A voice echoes from my left, making me jump at my feet.

I turn and look at a girl I didn't notice before. She must've been around my age, with long hazel hair and bright blue eyes. Her emerald dress was making her eyes even more distinctive.

I take off my coat and give it to her, receiving a bright smile in return.

"Please follow the path to the ballroom." She says with a sweet voice.

I smile back at her and taking each side of my dress slightly up, I start moving forward. As I keep walking further to the open door in front of me, music hits my ears. And not some DJ, but orchestral music.

My breath is taken away the moment I step in. The room is huge, I hardly see the end of it. A massive chandelier, like a ball of fire, is floating above us at the centre. Below, people are spinning around in the rhythm given an orchestra, placed in a corner of the ballroom.

I look around trying to spot any familiar faces. The shopkeeper girl is talking to a very handsome, tall man, with blond hair and silvery eyes. She meets my gaze and gives a nod. She wears an all-black maxi dress with low cleavage.

I keep moving around the room to avoid the dancing couples at the centre, trying to find Vincent. It's rude to come to a party and not greet the host.

Finally, I see him in a corner, talking with a group of other men that look like they came from a fashion magazine. Their features are flawless. Their forms towering.

A woman was standing close to Vincent, wearing a black lace dress that hardly covers the necessary parts. His hand is slithered around her waist.

I decide to get closer. All I want is to say hi and go back, hide in a corner or somewhere with fewer people around.

His eyes lock on me before I even make a step. I see him saying something to the people around him, and they scatter the moment after. He then starts walking toward me.

He's elegantly dressed, in a Victorian-era tailored suit. His blazing amber eyes are disarming.

"I see you heard my advice." His smooth voice resonates. The bright light above us makes him look like an angel.