52

MAXINE

I get out of his room with a sheepish smile on my face heading to the kitchen. The recreational area below is filled with life as wolves prepare for the new day. A bunch of juveniles were talking loudly, excited about their training which was about to commence in a while. Some adult males, a company of women and men were spreading large pieces of paper on a table nearby talking about an event, or so I thought.

As I start descending the stairs a girl from that group meets my gaze and immediately her eyes light up as a bright smile forms lower on her lips. I look around, maybe she was looking for another person but when I see her heading towards me and no one is around where I'm standing, then I'm the one she was looking for.

"Good morning Luna" the short girl - with dark brown hair and eyes that had a mix of silver and blue – greets me.

"Good morning..."

"Alice."

"Good morning Alice" I mirror her bright smile. "You can call me Maxine. I'm not your Luna yet." I try to say quietly. I feel a bit strange when they refer to me with that title. Rey said I'll get used to it. For them, it is a great honour to carry this title.

"You are Alpha's mate." She counters my answer. "It is a matter of time until he claims and officially mark yourselves.

My face turns red instantly and heat spreads through my body like an invisible veil. Is it a coincidence that this matter floats in the air quite often since two days ago?

"How can I help you? You were looking for me." I try to bring the conversation away from this.

"Yes! Actually... I asked Alpha Rey yesterday if you would like to participate in the ceremony for the newly mated wolves that this year falls at the same time as the full moon feast."

"And what did he say?" I ask with a mix of curiosity and anticipation for his response. The girl suddenly changes her expression. Like she's afraid of might saying the wrong thing.

"He said that he will follow whatever you decide, Luna." She says quietly, almost like a whisper.

I've never heard anyone mention about a ceremony for the new mates all these months that I'm in Rey's pack. I may have no idea what that contains but it must be a very important tradition and wolves are very close to them.

"You can count me in then." I give her a genuine smile.

Well, I've never expected wolves to be so effusive. At least not with someone who's not their mate or a close friend. But Alice's smile brought back to her face as he jumps on me wrapping her hands around me and pushing me into a tight hug as she giggles ecstatically.

I spot a tall figure on the upper floor on the right and I know who that might be without lifting my eyes to see. But I do. I watch Rey leaning casually with his elbows on the wooden handrail, watching me as I'm trapped in Alice's grip. He seems calm though his eyes are giving me looks that make shivers run down my spine, the hair at the back of my neck stand and a heat pooling in the spot between my thighs.

"I'm so happy you will attend Luna! Oh goddess it's been so long since we had a Luna for the ceremony!" she continues her delirium as she moves away from me and walks - almost hopping with every step – to find the others.

"Did you say what I thought you said?" Rey's deep warm voice echoes from behind me as he approaches. His sweet warmth hits me like a wave from behind, engulfing me in his scent of forest and male.

"Look at her, she seems so happy," I say without turning back to face him. "She was so kind to ask me and I couldn't refuse her when she asked so nicely."

A light chuckle escapes his lips that make my heart tug.

"Do you know what the ceremony is about?" there is an impish tone in his voice. He knows something I don't. Of course, he is.

"Do you want to tell me?" I turn to him with an innocent flutter of my eyelashes. I hear him taking a sharp breath as his fingers are twitching, arms hanging by his sides.

"When you do those things to me..." his husky voice washes over the skin on my ear making my body tremble. "You play with fire" he adds with a soft growl rumbling through his chest as he takes a step closer, glueing himself on me from behind. His hands circle around my waist, stopping at my sides as he turns me around to face him. His touch is delightful and suddenly I'm hit with an urge to touch me. Everywhere.

"Come on," he winks at me. "let's get some breakfast first." One hand slithers from my shoulder all the way down to my palm, linking our fingers together as we head to the kitchen.

A thousand smells hit my nose as we enter the huge kitchen. Most of them have already eaten breakfast and the room is basically empty, apart from three ladies that are still cooking some food over the stoves. Whatever they make it smells so good.

"Good morning Alpha, Luna." All three of them smile in unison. Rey guides me to the kitchen table where a lot of plates are still on with mouth-watering food." We grab two plates and cutlery and start piling food on them. My stomach roars wildly like I've had ages since my last meal.

I make move to sit on the huge table spreading to the far end of the kitchen but Rey nods me to follow him. We move to a door that leads outside where a small patio is located further down before the forest becomes denser. Well, small for wolves. For me is massive yet still beautiful. As we walk closer, I spot a table with a set of chairs placed on it. I don't remember being there, so I assume he must have planned it somehow.

"So, tell me about the ceremony. What is it about?" I ask with a mouthful of the delicious food.

"It is best we discuss this when we finish eating." He just replies and I get the idea that he might try to avoid the subject.

"Why? I'm curious to know." I protest. "Please Rey, don't keep me waiting."

He lets the fork down and taking a deep breath he straightens his back. He's gathering courage. Is it so difficult what he has to tell me?

"It's a mating ceremony." He spits and my eyes grow wide.