3. Can I?

I hate applying for customer service jobs. They're always saying they're in desperate need of help but so quick to reject anyone that looks like me since I'd have to be on the floor, interacting with customers. Mind you, my record is clean, my face has no tattoos, even though my arms do, and I know how to clean up for interviews. They just don't like that I have dreadlocks down my back, pierced eyebrows, I talk the way I do, and show that I know my voice to speak up if authority abuses their power.

In the past, I've kept decent jobs. I actually have never been fired until just last week when I was fired for not being able to work extra hours on multiple occasions over the last few months. I can't be too mad though, they gave a good recommendation for my next.

My biggest problem is that I would have preferred to find new work before quitting or getting fired so I don't get stuck. I already applied to a few jobs that never replied. I'm on my ninth in these past two weeks, rejected in the only two interviews I was invited to. Because I was laid off, I don't have the extra means to keep money flowing. When other places see that I'm not currently working, they think I'm an undesirable worker. It's weird.

"I can also work storage if you don't want me talking to customers." I try pleading my case. "I can lift, organize, manage machinery, all that. I got the experience since I worked at Lowe's for almost three years before I was at my recent job." The Home Depot employment manager nods and looks at the resume in front of him.

"Any specific limits for scheduling?" He asks.

"None."

"That's good. So why do you want to work here?"

"Other than money, I need the benefits, security and stability that comes from working at a place like this. This is closer to my apartment so I could work more without worrying about transit. I'm working on setting some roots with getting to know carpentry since I'm planning to own a business in the future that needs me to know how to work with wood."

"Oh what sort of business is that?" He asks, interest peaked.

"A restaurant and grill. I'd need to construct most of the furniture and some extra stuff. Hoping to cut costs by doing most of the work on my own even if it takes a long time." I explain, giving minimum details. That's private.

"Well best of luck for that. Regarding this job though, What do you think you can bring to the table? What sets you apart?" He asks next, crossing one leg over the other and placing my paper back down.

"I meannn I'm just as qualified, if not more, than anyone you already got out there. I've got leadership experience. Even if I never went to college, I'm a quick learner with tasks. I'm honest. I'm on time. I'm not here to fight but I will not be taken advantage of. I work hard and I'll keep working hard. I just need a job that I can put my organization to use."

"Hmm," he hums and taps his chin. "I would normally have a problem with the face jewelry but I'll make an exception. You're hired but I'll email you the schedule for next week after I make it. If you don't get anything, just give me a call." He gives me some papers and a hand shake.

"Thanks for the chance."

-------

Rocko and I are just sitting in his car bumping to some music while we sell on the corner of stank ass and crackhead lane. That's not the real name but shit if I care, that's all you're going to find out here. A few other members are on the curbside, leaning against the wall and building's stairs, also bumping. Most of them aren't working or nothing, they're just always around.

I fix up my hoodie and roll the window down more as I see someone coming up towards us. The lil dude is obviously a teen but that doesn't matter. He's a consistent customer, only buying some weed. Even if he wanted something a little more 'stimulating' I'd have to sell anyways despite how much I wouldn't want to. I hate seeing that shift customers take from light stuff to hard stuff until I eventually don't see them anymore.