26. I'm Sorry

~Omniscient Eight Years Ago~

"Ohh she's so cute," Trina whispers to Shawnee as she cradles the newborn sister they both waited so long to meet.

"I know..." Shawnee whispers back, eyes stuck on Niquey.

They just got out of the hospital, where Trina couldn't visit because she wasn't family. Niquey was premature and stuck in the NICU for a little over a month so Trina had barely seen Shawnee recently. The baby was a little drug reliant so she had to be weaned off her addiction. Trina was surprised they didn't take the newborn away from her mother to be honest but tox screen showed she was clean so she now hopes it would just work out.

Shawnee made sure to stay with the baby everyday after school and sometimes even skipped class to see her sooner. Already, her world revolves around the baby and Trina, now, is feeling her heart being pulled in too.

The three go to Shawnee's room where Trina immediately sits in the bed, arms open, blankets covering herself securely. 'It's so cold in the winter.' She thinks, as a shiver runs through her body.

New years only barely passed but there's something new about them this year, and not just because of Niquey.

"Here," Shawnee reaches over and puts the newborn into Trina's arms.

She struggles to hold her because her first time holding a baby. Especially one this little. Carefully, Shawnee shows her best friend how to support her head- the same way the nurse at the hospital showed her.

"Wow.. so small..." Trina looks at Niquey and sees her straining to rub her tiny face. She's got light eyes right now but her skin is light too. Shawnee was confused until the nurses explained how babies usually worked, melanin coming in later, and left her in awe of the newest addition.

Trina hasn't seen the baby's eyes yet but she's still feels how small and adorable she is while asleep. 'This is going to be my new best friend for real.' She continues to think to herself.

"Small.. I know.." Shawnee smiles. Her pretty face makes Trina's warm up and her heart races for a few seconds before she manages to calm herself down.

"Where are you going?" Trina ask, noticing that Shawnee's putting her shoes back on.

"I have a customer. I should be back in a few hours cause I'm meeting one of Dre's men after." She explains and draws a sigh out of the older one.

Shawnee's been thinking about joining a gang recently, because it would give her a little extra protection and money before she ends up getting jumped again like she was a few weeks ago. She started selling a few months ago since her mothers pregnancy started showing. Trina was worried her mom was going to use too much and lose the baby but Shawnee was taking extra measures to make sure her mothers drugs are hidden. She still got high but it wasn't as bad as it was before the pregnancy.

Trina turns her head and looks out the doorway to see Shawnee's mother who's laid out on the floor, higher than she has ever seen her.
'Thank god for formula.' Shawnee thinks as she sees the same woman she used to pray for, 'At least Niquey won't be alone cause she got me. Forever.'

"You'll be safe?" Trine asks, her heart thumping with nerves. It worries her... Shawnee joining a gang. She doesn't want to lose her and be left alone when she need her more than anything...

Shawnee smiles and walks to Trina, sensing her worry, leaning down to kiss her lips ever so softly. She separates all too quickly for Trina's taste.