Chapter 48: No big deal

Once you arrive, it's dark already. The doors to your carriage opens and Levi extends his hand, helping you to get down.

"They sent you back already?" He asked, sarcasm ringing through his words.

"Yeah.. I guess I'm just that much of a menace."

You grab your duffle bag, and the bag of food, leaving the last bag your mother packed you for him to carry.

"I have to drop this off at the kitchen first, okay?"

He grabs the bag off of your shoulder.

"Just meet me at your room. We gotta go see Erwin."

You nod, making your way to the mess hall.

"Hey, back already?" Eren shouts from a table, you see him sitting with Armin and Mikasa having a late night snack.

"Yeah, I'm... here, you guys want some? Just leave a bit for me." You hand them the bag of food from your mothers house and their eyes light up. "Just be sure to put it away for me after, I gotta go see Erwin."

"Oof, alright (Y/N). We'll be here for you if you wanna join us later. Thank you, this all looks delicious." Armin smiled at you

A string of appreciative words followed shortly as you left to meet Levi up by your room. He stood in the hall with both bags slung over his shoulders and you dug in your pocket for your keys.

"Are you okay?" He asked as you turned the knob to your room.

You exhaled deeply, then turned to face him.
"Yeah, fine." You tossed both bags inside the room and swiftly secured your door once more.

"Come on." He gestured for you to lead the way to the staircase.

Upon reaching Erwin's door, Levi knocked from behind you, his body lightly brushing up on your side before Erwin's voice invited you both to enter.
You take a seat across from his desk, and Levi remains standing at your side

Erwin
"You can have a seat, Levi."

Levi
"I prefer to stand."

Erwin.
"Suit yourself." He quickly turned his gaze onto you
"We have a report of an attack at your residence, is that correct?"

(Y/N)
"An attack? I wouldn't call it that. But yes, Gwen's mother and father came to my house, angrily demanding information about their daughter."

Erwin
"What did you tell them?"

(Y/N)
"I didn't tell them anything. I was so surprised I couldn't form any words. Noah was able to calm them down, though, enough for them to leave. He denied any involvement and told them the giant Titan heading towards Orvud took our focus, we lost all communication with Gwen and her team. That's all they know."

Erwin
"What did her family say to you?"

You exhale deeply, trying to remember the altercation from earlier.
"Honestly, I was really taken back.. I don't remember everything. They were demanding answers, accusing me of working with Kenny the ripper, implying to my family that I have something to do with her disappearance... they don't know that she–" you choked up on that last sentence and immediately look down. It's bad enough that you killed her, but the fact that her family doesn't know and cannot grieve her death adds an even deeper cut to your already aching heart.

Uncomfortable silence occupies the room as you struggle for words. You try to maintain your breathing, unwilling to fall apart in front of the commander. Your eyes water and you lower your head to face your lap as tears drop out onto your skirt, the sounds of the wind outside becoming louder as the room grows eerily quiet.