[23] Boons and Backlashes

Chapter 23: Boons and Backlashes

[Earlier, Third Person Point of View]

Ruby was a lot more worried about Tsubasa than her brother was. She always noticed he was a bit cold-blooded – even though he was much better nowadays – which always made her wonder why, though she didn't like to ponder what he was in his last life.

She had been curious since the first day he revealed that he was a reincarnator like her. However, she never asked about his past, the way he never asked about hers. Well, she asked him a few times, but all he said was that she should tell him her past first, which she didn't plan to do.

So no matter how interesting his previous life may have been, she never got to know about it. Ruby was slightly annoyed that he hadn't come to look for Tsubasa from the get-go, but he's never been too fast to act, rarely anything made him react. His last life must have been something.

"[Scan]!"

She chanted once more. Her 4th Circle mana heart could cast a stronger scan than the one she used a few weeks ago to find Aqua in the gym. It rippled through reality a few kilometers from her spot and returned with nothing.

"Haah, where is sh-"

Ruby paused as she did sense something. It was a person, veiled until now as they let go of it. Before she could gather her thoughts, the person vanished from where she had just scanned, and soon he was in front of her.

"Uh oh." Ruby took a step back as a tanned man wielding a spear dropped in front of her. The speed at which he came to her from his previous spot was terrifying.

"Little girl," the man said, raising his spear. "You know where the Treasure is, don't you?"

He's been aggressive from the start, which told Ruby that this won't end well. For her right now, and for him in a bit, if she was hurt.

Ruby knew a lot of spells. However, she had zero battle experience. Her brother tried to train her, but she always said there was no point in training to fight. She said, if danger does come, she could just call forth a pillar of fire.

Back then, she hadn't considered what if the enemy was faster than the pillar of fire. What if he dodged the lightning she'd call from the sky? What if he wasn't damaged by the sharp whip of water she'd create?

After a very short period of time, the battle ended. To Ruby's credit though, at least the Jaguar-like man's spear was destroyed in the process. Even if it cost her her vision.

* * *

[First Person Point of View]

I felt my veins chill as I stared at the scene with wide eyes. Blood boiled as my fingers twitched in a desire to tear him into pieces.

"Xihuitl is dead? A pity." Said the man.

Who this man was didn't matter. It wasn't an issue too that I sensed a decent level of divine authority inside him, similar to the White Tiger divinity actually. Based on his outfit and appearance, he must be an Avatar of the Jaguar God – the Aztec equivalent of the more popular White Tiger. Not that I gave a fuck as I vanished from my spot.

[Eternal Sorcery: Discrimination of Time]

Circles of magic appeared overhead, and the world slowed down for everyone but I, even as I endured the ever-growing internal pain inside me. My anger demanded why had I allowed that woman from my 7th life, the Empress of Mankind, to put a seal on my soul that made it so I can't freely use magic until I turn 18? My reasoning back then was that life will feel too easy if I did, too boring, but fuck that and fuck myself from the past.