18. Intrigue Unveiled

The relentless investigation into the unknown masked man continued under Peter's determined efforts. Each lead brought us closer to uncovering the truth, though the answers remained elusive.

On the day of the highly anticipated fashion line launch, Noble Couture found itself in a difficult position. A press conference was called, and I had to make the tough announcement that the new line had to be postponed due to unforeseen circumstances. The news spread like wildfire, and soon headlines filled the media.

What made matters more complicated was that the media had somehow learned about my relationship with Damien. However, the focus was not on my sexual orientation; instead, the headlines suggested that my romantic involvement had distracted me from my business responsibilities. The situation became more scandalous in the public eye than it truly was.

Normally, I reveled in the spotlight, but right now, the whole situation was uncomfortable , especially because it put Damien's privacy at risk too. This unwelcome intrusion in my personal life added a layer of pressure I had never experienced before.

After the press conference, I returned to my office, only to discover my father sitting at my desk. My initial reaction was one of panic.

"Dad, what are you doing here?" I asked, anxiety creeping into my voice.

His response was as stoic as ever. "It's my company, Lukas. I don't need your permission to be here. Besides, didn't Ethan tell you I was stopping by? Your mother has a movie shoot nearby, so I decided to drop by while I was in the area. She'll join us if her shoot ends on time."

I tried to play it cool. "Of course, Dad."

He, however, had a probing question. "Where's Ethan?"

Thinking quickly, I lied, "He's on vacation."

His skeptical expression suggested he didn't believe the excuse, but he chose not to press the matter further, at least for the time being.

"What happened, Lukas?" he asked, shifting gears. "I thought I was coming here to congratulate you on completing your first project, but clearly, that's not the case."

I sighed, sat down across from him, and recounted the entire story, sharing the theft of our designs and the ongoing blackmail. Obviously I left out a few small details here and there, especially the nature of the blackmail, as it was a conversation I couldn't imagine having with my parents. My parents viewed Ethan as some sort of angel and no matter how much of a traitor Ethan was at this moment, I definately couldnt tell dad that the levereage we were being blackmailed with was Ethan's sex tapes.

My father listened intently and then questioned, "Why didn't you tell me about this, Lukas?"

"I'm sorry, Dad," I responded. "I didn't expect things to escalate like this."

He continued with concern in his voice, "This is a very serious matter, Lukas. I don't know what's going on between you and Ethan, but I suggest you fix things, both for the sake of your friendship and this project. It's also clear you need a capable secretary by your side take care of this whole mess."

He offered his help, suggesting he could fill that role, but I was quick to decline.

"No, Dad, I can handle it. I've got this under control," I asserted. I felt the need to prove that I was no longer a kid who needed my father to clean up my messes.

He, however, expressed his frustration. "How can I retire in peace if this is how you run the company in less than a year since taking over? You've turned the entire company upside down. What part of this is 'under control'?"

I didn't back down. "Dad, I said I can handle this." My phone ringing interrupted the conversation, and I took the call. It was Peter, the private investigator.

"Hello, Mr. King," Peter's voice came through the phone. "We've been able to track down the man who paid Jamie for those videos."

The revelation hung in the air, and both my father and I listened intently, realizing that the answers we sought might finally be within reach.

Feeling a surge of anticipation, I listened to Peter's voice and knew it was time to act. My father noticed the sudden change in my demeanor and asked with concern, "Is everything alright, Lukas?"

I realized I needed to leave immediately and share this new lead with Damien. "Dad, I have to go. There's something important I need to take care of."

Without waiting for a response, I hurriedly left the office, practically dragging Damien along with me as I went. His confusion was evident, and he questioned our hasty departure. "Where are we hurrying off to? And isn't that your father in there? Is it okay to just leave him like that?"

"My dad is fine, but come on, Damien, we have to go," I said urgently. "Peter has caught the guy who paid that kid to follow and film us." I practically threw Damien into the passenger seat of the car and got into the driver's seat.

As we drove to the address Peter had provided, we found ourselves standing in front of a somewhat eerie, abandoned building. Damien looked at me, skepticism etched on his face, and asked, "Are you sure this is the right address, Lukas?"

I glanced at the directions Peter had provided, then at the barely-standing abandoned building before us. With a skeptical nod, I replied, "I mean, it's the address Peter sent sooo..."

We shared a hesitant look before deciding to enter the building. The interior was dimly lit, and our footsteps echoed in the empty space. As we ventured further inside, we spotted Peter standing there, waiting for us. He welcomed us with a nod and said, "I've been expecting you. Come in."

We followed him deeper into the building, eager to finally learn more about the mysterious man who had been tormenting us and holding our secrets hostage.

Hiiiii, so I'm a bit late on this chapter but writer's block has been a real bitch lately. I almost gave up then I remembered my three consistent readers out there who were actually following and waiting for a chapter so I decided to pull through and channel every ounce of energy and just barely scrapped together a chapter today.

Please sweethearts, dont froget to click that little star down there

Much love,

Kyra