16. Total Chaos and Absolute Crisis

The downward spiral continued as the seemingly never-ending streak of bad luck and disasters unfolded at work and I just couldn't seem to catch a break.

"The news just reported that Deluxe Designs has already launched their latest line of women's fashion," the news anchor announced. "It seems they wasted no time since the announcement just two days ago."

I stared at the clothes displayed on the screen, and a sense of recognition washed over me. Suddenly, it all fell into place, and I couldn't contain my frustration. With an enraged sweep of my hand, I slammed the desk and exclaimed, "That scoundrel! Those are our designs!"

There was no way this was a mere coincidence. I should have sensed something was off from the start. Why would Chris suddenly venture into women's fashion just a week and a half before Noble Couture was supposed to release our new line?

The burning question in my mind was how Chris had managed to get his hands on our designs in the first place. And then it hit me once again – Ethan, that deceitful, lying bastard.

Damien, always perceptive, tried to intervene. "Hey, calm down, Lukas. It might not be what you think."

"No, Damien, I've had enough of this, and you can't stop me! Why do you keep defending Ethan? Or is he screwing you too?" I spat out, immediately regretting my words. "Damien, I'm so sorry."

Damien, attempting to soothe the situation, spoke gently. "I understand you're upset, but you really need to calm down, Lukas."

Moments later, Ethan stormed into the office, clearly alarmed. "I heard you shouting. What's going on?"

I couldn't contain my frustration. "I could ask you the same thing, Ethan. Why don't you tell me what's going on?"

"So tell me, Ethan," I hissed his name with venom. "Is this the 'friend' who wanted to explore intimacy with another man? Did they discover the truth? Was it worth it? Was Chris's body satisfying enough, Ethan?"

"What are you—" Ethan began, but I cut him off.

"No, that's my question. So, the 'mystery person' you had feelings for, of all people, had to be Chris? Do you even grasp what's been happening while you were cozying up to the competition?"

Ethan retaliated, "You're engaged in a relationship with your subordinate. Isn't that just as scandalous?"

"Because, at least, my 'subordinate' didn't betray me for some affair!" I shouted back.

Ethan appeared wounded, but I was too furious to care. "Why do you get to be happy while I suffer? Don't forget, you were sleeping with different men every night until just a few months ago. You don't become a saint because you've found yourself a boyfriend."

I continued to berate him. "You're my secretary and personal assistant. You're supposed to be the most trusted person in this building, my best friend! Why are you dating my rival? You've traded my company and your dignity for dick!"

Damien intervened again, trying to defuse the situation. "I'm sure there's a reasonable explanation for this, Lukas. Do you have an explanation, Ethan?"

Ethan stammered, "I... I didn't do this, and Chris didn't either. He loves me, and I trust him. It must be a misunderstanding, and—"

"Are you out of your mind, Ethan? You're 24 years old; you should realize he's using you," I interrupted, refusing to entertain excuses.

"Whatever. This situation puts all of us in a compromising position now," I declared.

Damien interjected with reason, "I suggest you calm down, Lukas. The top priority is identifying the person sending these videos."

The thought crossed my mind – I needed legal advice. I wondered if I could take legal action against Chris, perhaps not for his relationship with Ethan, but to address the stolen designs.

As this idea flashed in my mind, my phone pinged again. I let out an exasperated sigh, already dreading the content.

Another video message, accompanied by a written threat. It was the first time this person had spoken.

The message was a menacing threat to release the videos to the media if I pursued legal action against Deluxe Designs.

"Fuck!" I yelled, hurling my phone against the wall in frustration.

My office fell into a tense silence, shattered only by the echoes of my phone crashing against the wall. As I glared at the shattered device, anger and helplessness coursed through me.

Damien broke the silence, his voice calm yet determined. "Lukas, we can't allow this person to control us through fear. We must uncover their identity and expose them."

I took a deep breath, attempting to regain my composure. Damien was right; I couldn't let fear dictate my actions. "You're right, Damien. We need a plan, and we need to act quickly."

Ethan, who had remained silent throughout our heated exchange, finally spoke. "I swear, Lukas, I had nothing to do with this. Chris wouldn't betray me like that."

I responded coldly, "As of this moment, you're no longer an employee here or my best friend."

Ethan seemed shocked. "Are you... firing me?"

"You'll receive your official termination letter by the end of the week," I affirmed firmly.

Damien mediated once more, trying to find a middle ground. "Maybe, instead of permanent termination, we should suspend Ethan temporarily until we can determine the truth. He's your best friend and a valuable employee, Lukas. Let's not act hastily."

"Damien..." I relented, realizing he was making sense.

"I think it would be best if you didn't come to work for some time until things settle down, Mr. Driscoll." Damien proposed. "Given the lack of evidence, it's the fairest course of action until we untangle this mess because honestly, there's nothing at this point to prove that you did or didn't sell out Noble Couture to Christpher Wilson."

"You heard Damien. Why are you still here?" I directed at Ethan.

"Fine, then," he said and stormed out of my office. Everything was in absolute shambles and I just knew I was teetering in the verge of a breakdown.

"Are you okay?" Damien asked me in a soft voice.

"Of course not," I replied, pulling him in for a hug. My emotions were a chaotic blend of sadness and anger, but right now, I simply needed to be in Damien's arms.

"Damien?" I called his name.

"Hmm?"

"Yes."

"Huh?"

"I'll be your boyfriend. I know this might seem like strange timing, but I—" My sentence was abruptly cut short as Damien silenced me with a kiss, sealing our newfound connection with a promise of what lay ahead.

And they lived happily ever after.

Alright guys, that's the end, thank you for reading my book.

I'll see you guys next week for the epilogue.