15. Design Dilenma

Two weeks remained until the launch date, and the office buzzed with frantic activity. Chaos consumed every corner, leaving no room for distractions or dwelling on personal grievances, such as my growing frustration with Ethan. All I could focus on was the turbulent storm of work that had engulfed us.

My phone chimed with yet another notification, and irritation welled up within me. Lately, I'd been on edge, every incoming message a source of anxiety. The mystery person's texts had taken their toll, unsettling me further with their vague nature and lack of demands. However, this message was not from the mystery person; thankfully, it was just spam.

"Umm, g-good morning, sir," Timothy, the head of IT, greeted timidly as he peeked into my office.

"How may I assist you, Timothy?" I asked, wanting to get this over with as soon as possible so I could get back to work.

"S-sir, there's been a slight problem," he said.

"What problem, Timmy, speak up."

"Well, the thing is that when we arrived at work this morning, it seems that all the systems downstairs have been infected with a virus."

"A virus?"

"Yes, and all the information and files stored on them have been lost. We tried to recover them, but the virus is just too potent."

"What do you mean all your systems got wiped? Well then, call IT. I didn't spend a lot of money on the most advanced high-end security software just so you can tell me that the designs we've been working on for months have suddenly vanished. Are you crazy?"

"Lukas!" Ethan's voice sliced through the cacophony as he stormed into my office. I swiveled my chair to face him, my patience already stretched thin. "What now, Ethan? I'm swamped," I snapped.

"Something's gone terribly wrong, Lukas! Everything we've been working on is gone!" Ethan exclaimed, his tone edged with panic.

"What do you mean, it's gone, Ethan? I don't have time for this," I replied, my impatience evident.

We argued back and forth, with me demanding answers and Ethan trying to explain the inexplicable. My frustration bubbled over.

"Well, what about the hard copies then?" I asked.

"Everything is gone, Lukas! All of it!" Ethan half yelled.

"What the actual hell is going on right now?" I fumed, the weight of this sudden misfortune bearing down on me.

Just as the tension reached its peak, my phone rang, interrupting our heated exchange. Without looking, I grabbed it and answered, my irritation now aimed at the unexpected caller.

"Oh my goodness, what now!" I muttered under my breath, my patience waning.

"Lukas?" came a familiar voice from the other end.

I pulled the phone away and glanced at the caller's name. "Oh, hi, Dad. Good morning."

"How's everything going over at your side, Lukas?" my father inquired.

"Everything is absolutely fine, Dad. Trust me. There's absolutely nothing to worry about," I assured him, attempting to sound convincing despite the mounting chaos.

"Have you seen the news?" my father pressed.

"News? What news?" I replied, my curiosity piqued.

Just then, Damien barged into my office. "Lukas, you have to see this!" he said, ignoring the usual courtesies of knocking or waiting for an invitation. I couldn't help but express my annoyance at his abrupt entrance.