Chapter 43: The Beast Awakening

Kathy above

Tonya POV

Carson is taking care of my stitches as Kathy paces the room back and forth. It's late, and she has spent many hours in the woods, running like crazy.

Well, today's day was full of surprises even though it started so normal. First, Rosie's revelation, then very good sex with my mates, and at last, Nelson's revelations.

Nelson and Anne examined Tania's body and actually managed to get one more conclusion. My bites damaged her more than other wounds; nobody knows why, but they didn't start healing. Chandler is not stupid; sooner or later, he will ask about that, and now my immunity for silver seems to be a piece of information essential for this mission, and I really don't want to share that secret with hunters. 

I spoke with Terry about it, but as an arbiter, he claims it should happen if Nelson and Anne find proof that it could be the reason for my better effectiveness in fighting with the creature. But they would probably get an answer sooner if I told them the truth about myself. And I struggle with making this decision as Kathy is struggling with my sister's confession right now.

"Kathy, stop pacing around," Carson finally says, irritated, and she snarls at him as I roll my eyes.

"What will you do with it?" I ask her as she sits on a chair next to me.

"Why should I do anything with it? It's not my problem if she is in love."

"Well, at least you know now that she didn't love him, and he didn't matter," I say, pointing to our conversation some time ago, and Kathy glares at me. Something is up; I know it, but she is not ready yet to tell me.

"I'll not make trouble because of my children, I will be nice, and I will try to talk with her normally, and for now, that's the most I can do," she finally says, and Carson and I exchange looks.

Some time ago, Kathy mentioned that she was never jealous of Curtis. Could it be that she was jealous of Rosie, actually? But I don't dare to ask; she is agitated and pissed off, and I don't want to make her angrier.

"How is Alistair?" I ask, changing the subject.

"Still alive, not better, but stable. He has lost lots of blood. Chandler spends lots of time next to his bed."

I nod, Chandler seems tired lately, as all of us are apparently, but there is something else. I caught the glances he has exchanged with Pearl recently, and I'm sure that the things between them aren't as over as they want us to believe. Pearl really fooled us all with the rejection, but what Noah says is right that I shouldn't interfere with her decision if that's what she wants.

Very early the following day, I stroll to my study to finish some papers, and to my surprise, I see Sam playing with little Hank in the corridor. I have avoided him recently, probably because I chose to believe Noah that Sam used to make things difficult for him, but at the same time, I can't postpone our conversation. He is my Head Warrior and friend; our situation must be clear. Plus, the Trio admitted that Sam mainly spread distrust toward Noah among pack members. Discreetly, but much gossip started because of him.

He spots me and smiles as I nod to him and enter my study. I wonder if Noah is correct and if Sam has feelings for me. I have never seen him as anybody more than but a friend, and honestly, I suck in all these dating and being in love things, so I have never noticed anything strange in Sam's attitude towards me. But I guess he, too, has things to be said because soon there is a knock on my door.

He sits in front of my desk with Hank on his lap, who is busy playing with his car toys.

"Uncle Sam played hunting treasure with me," Hank says, giggling as Sam looks at me with, I think, determination.