Chapter 23: Walk in the woods

Noah POV

The smirk Sam gave me the moment I saw him hugging Tonya should have made me furious. But all I could recall was pure sadness. She looked fragile in his arms. I saw her that fragile for the first time since I knew her, and he comforted her.

I knew they hadn't done anything because I would've felt it, but she was happy in his arms. I got the feeling of security and support he was giving her. And honestly, I wanted to cry because no matter how hard she tries, I know when she is with me or Charlie, deep down inside, she is still on high alert. Her guard is still up.

She smiled at me the moment she saw me and quickly stepped away from him, and although he left the room very quickly, I felt defeated. At least I'm sure Sam is smitten with Tonya and intends to fight for her. And she seems oblivious to this; he is her Head Warrior, her friend, and she trusts him more than me.

I sigh heavily as I step into the gym in the packhouse. I'm almost healed, so I think working out a little is a good idea. To my utmost surprise and anger, I see there the devil himself.

"Noah," he smiles brightly," You've missed the training this morning, but we can make up for it now."

I'm not in the mood for this shit, but I can't step away. He is my opponent, and I have never stepped away from a challenge before. So I come closer and start sparring with him. I've barely healed, so I have to be careful, and for some time, he actually makes believe that he intends to fight fair. How naïve I am thinking that. Very quickly, he punches me into the places I was wounded, and very quickly, he starts using sneaky movements. I can keep up with it. I also know how to land a low blow and make him hiss in pain a couple of times.

"She will get rid of you soon. She will take you and then toss you away," he whispers when he is close enough to me and lands another punch. "A pathetic rogue like you would never be a Luna."

Linus stirs angrily in my mind as I feel my blood boiling. I want to make the fucking bastard shut up; I want to make him bleed. I charge at him more firmly, but he stands firm against me.

"You are a weak piece of meat and nothing more. And you saw it yourself: she feels an attachment towards me. She is an Alpha; she will always put this pack first, and I'm and always will be a better choice for the pack."

Anger manages to take over me, and I quickly make a mistake, and Sam uses an opportunity to pin me to the floor. I snarl, and yet I fail to push him off of me.

"I think I would even accept Charlie in our bed if it makes her happy. Only you will be chased away, and I will make both of them moan in ecstasy."

My control almost snaps... It's almost because I am an excellent tracker, so my nose is very keen. Sam stands up, smirking, and turns around, letting me go. I could attack him now, he allowed himself open, and I'm so pissed off that I want my claws red with his blood. But my keen nose got to smell the scent of somebody else in the gym standing unseen in the shadows. Sam wants to set me up; he would need a witness of me attacking him from behind.

"Tonya is my mate," I say loud and see him getting uneasy. "You may dream as much as you want, but she will never look at you the same way she looks at me."

I see fury in his eyes as the person watching us comes closer. One of the trio brothers, I'm not sure which one, and Kathy the Beta.

"Sam, James has reported of the rogues coming closer to the border of the main territory. Please take a squad and deal with it as soon as possible. Tyler and I will keep Noah company," she says calmly, but I still shiver a bit. I remember how sharp her canines and claws are and how deadly she can be.