033

•—•—•

~~~

—Chapter 33—

•—•—•

"Guys...I'm so sorry." The words flew from her mouth before she even realized she had formed them in her mind.

"What?" Their heads all perked up at her voice, eyes meeting hers. Jay had woken by then and followed along.

"Ah, shit. I didn't mean to say that. But it's true. If it weren't for me, you wouldn't be in this mess. You wouldn't be in this state right now. You'd be back at home, going about your lives like usual."

"No." Jake shook his head, cutting her off before she could say any more. "Stop with the blame-game, Ji. None of this is your fault. It's his, and you know it."

"He's right, you know." Sunghoon tilted his head to the side, gesturing towards the previous speaker next to him. "It's not like you knew what would have happened, anyways. Based on what your pops said, it would have all played out the same regardless."

"If anything, you should blame Jaeyun." Jay snorted, earning a stern 'what?' from the blonde man. He shrugged his shoulders. "If he hadn't been such a puppy and insisted on finding you, maybe that would've thrown a detour in your father's plans."

Jiseon pursed her lips, chewing on the inside of her cheek. "Alright."

Jay nodded curtly in the affirmative, then grimacing as Jake kicked him in the leg. He kicked back and the two were soon a mess of legs striking out at each other.

Jiseon watched in amusement, wondering if they truly were twenty-year-old men or children play-fighting.

It was nice to see that they could still find a hint of lightheartedness despite their current situation.

Though, that moment of normalcy was disrupted by the sudden rapid succession of gunfire above them.

Jay and Jake ceased their tussle and the eight of them tensed up, eyes scanning the area for the source of the sound.

From the hallway that Jiseok had disappeared down previously came the echoes of footsteps stomping and several male voices shouting back and forth to each other.

Two distinctly deep voices drew closer and a pair of tall figures darted out into view, instantly recognize by the imprisoned group.

"Mingi? Yunho? What are you guys doing here?" Jungwon jumped up, staring wide-eyed in disbelief at the sight before them.

"What does it look like?" Yunho asked with a grin, pulling out a lock-picking kit from his bag and breaking into the cell. "We're here to break you guys out."