004

•—•—•

~~~

—Chapter 4—

•—•—•

Jake made his way outside, meeting up with his old friend who was leaning against a new-looking black pickup truck parked at the far end of the massive driveway of the mansion. A glowing cigarette was pinched between her index and middle finger, smoke puffing from between her lips as she exhaled. She pushed herself away from the truck as he approached, instantly taking notice of the red mark on his face.

"Jaeyun, what happened?" She asked in English, her accent showing through. She brushed her fingers across his jaw where the mark was clearly visible.

Jake only shook his head, disregarding her question. "I thought you quit?" He lifted his chin in the direction of the cigarette in her hand.

"I did, but..."

"Stop it, now." He swiped the rolled paper from her hand and put it out on a nearby garbage can, tossing it inside when the ember had been extinguished. He wrinkled his nose at the smell. He didn't know how she could put that stuff in her lungs.

Jiseon only chuckled as she knew exactly what he was thinking and jerked her head towards the truck, indicating it was time to go. She hopped in the driver's seat and started the engine. A deep growl filled the space as the truck roared to life. Jake sat himself in the passenger seat as she shifted the gear to reverse and backed out of the driveway.

Once they were fully backed into the main street, Jiseon shifted to drive and sped down the road, tires screeching. The truck passed an abundance of really nice houses, of equal luxury and size of the one they just left.

"Nice neighborhood you got here." She commented, keeping her eyes on the road, left hand on the wheel, right arm set on the armrest casually. "You know, you were right. Ni-ki does remind me of Youngjoon. He's, what, 17? They'd be around the same age."

"Yeah, he's 17. Man, does time fly fast. I remember when Youngjoon first learned to ride a bike. That little boy was a menace on wheels." The two laughed softly at the memory. Despite the many years in such a dangerous business, the childhood friendship they had bonded held strong over the years.

"Sometimes I wish we could go back to the simple days." Jiseon sighed as Jake hummed in response and the two lapsed back into a comfortable silence. Buildings and lights flashed by out the windows, and Jake recognized where they were headed, their destination soon coming into view. It was an old beat down motel, abandoned and hidden away in a sketchy part of town.