Chapter 12

The way across the lake is foggy. Bard decided to go closer in the night to sneak us in under the guise of dawn, when everyone would more then likely be asleep.

I looked to Thorin at the front of the barge. He had his arms crossed, looking across the lake. I felt my heart call to him. I walk up finding him in deep thought. I rub his back and arm.

"What's bothering you?"

"I see the way he looks at you, I don't Iike it," Thorin growled.

I glance back catching Bard looking my way. He looked as if he was checking me out more then anything.

"He climbing up the wrong tree," I said, quietly so Bard wouldn't hear. "Trust me I don't give out my heart that easily."

Thorin looked at me. "I know."

I smile softly and kiss his cheek. I wanted to let Bard know that I was someone else's.

Thorin wrapped his arm around my waist and as low as he could get it without being indecent in full view of Bard.

"We have a problem," Balin said softy, just in ear reach. "We're 10 coins short."
tension."

Everyone including me tries finding any coin but comes up short.

"Gloin," Thorin said. "Empty your pockets."

"I have been bled dry by this adventure," Gloin protested.

I see the Mountian appearing out of the mist. I tapped Thorin on the arm getting his attention.

Erebor was close. Spirits we are so close now.

In Bag End, it seemed so far away and yet here we are.

"Here take it!" Gloin handed Balin his small sack of gold.

Bard came charging down the boat as we sailed past Erebor. "The money quick give it too me."

"You will be paid when we get our provisions and not before," Thorin told him.

"If you value your freedom you'll do as I say. Your woman may come of use. There is guards ahead.

Thorin put his hand in front of me. "No."

I turn to him and pull him away from Bard to calm Thorin down. "Listen to me, I'll be alright. Men is easily persuaded when a woman asks them something."

He nodded. "I trust you."

That was the one thing I needed to hear. He trusted me. He kissed my cheek before the Company have to hid in their barrels.

Bard then comes to me. "Let me do the talking."

I nod, pulling my cloak tighter around me from the damp air. Cold air doesn't bother me, I'm used to the freezing North but the damp always affected me.

Maybe if I had a Waterdrake instead of a Winterdrake it would be different. I heard the Tamers that had different dragons could be affected more by other elements.

Bard steers his barge close to a couple of fisherman. He barters with them in hushed voices.

"What's he doing?" I hear Dwalin say in a hushed tone. I tap his barrel with my foot to get him to hush.

Bard and the fishermen strike an agreement. They fill the barrels up with fish, covering the Dwarves and the Hobbit.

We slowly approach Lake-Town's gatehouse. The smell of fish and poverty fills me with dread and sadness. I was used to being free and on my own.

I didn't realize that people was struggling to survive in other parts of the world.

"What happened here?" I asked Bard.