Chapter 8

Trigger warning: unhealed trauma and outbursts

◇◇◇◇◇◇◇◇◇◇◇◇◇◇◇◇◇◇◇◇◇◇◇◇◇◇

I couldn't remember when I last slept. Days maybe? Azog has been chasing us with his Orc pack. The stubborn bastard had survived Alastor flinging him and his Warg into oblivion.

We was currently hiding behind a rocky hillside. Bilbo had went to spy on the Orc pack. Alastor was guarding the group, perched up above us.

Mist had concealed our location but now it was starting to lift as it became morning. Leaves crunching under running feet made us jump up.

It was Bilbo running back.

"How close is the pack?" Thorin asked him.

"Too close. A couple of leagues, no more, but that's not the worst of it," Bilbo reported. He had to catch his breath for a second.

Bofur spoke up. "Have the Wargs picked up our scent?"
"Not yet," the Halfling replied. "But they will. We have another problem."

Gandalf asked him another question. "Did they see you?"

"No, that's no it."

They completely ignored him. Bilbo was trying his best to get them to listen.

I yelled at the Company. "Hush, let him speak. What did you see?"

"A massive bear but bigger much bigger," The Halfling said.

"Milady," Alastor called into our mindlink. "The Hobbit is right, it's the smell of our enemy."

A ball of rage formed at the base of my spine at the confirmation. I refused to let them know what savage lurked in the forest at first.

They was trying to form a plan.

Gandalf spoke up. "There is a house, it's not far from here where we might take refuge."

I glared at the wizard. "No."

"Ira, this isn't the time for your rivalry with the beast," Gandalf replied.

Thorin's hand on my shoulder made the built up anger slightly fade. "It's the only way Ira."

I sighed. "Fine but don't be surprised when a fight breaks out."

The savage roared scaring them, I fought my pride to fight.

Gandalf leads the way down the hill, through plains and forest till the house is seen in the middle of a brown grassy field.

Alastor stays just inside the forest clearing for the time being. "Say the word Milady and I will kill the Savage," he said. His tone full of grief and anger but he won't kill unless ordered.

We rush to get into the house, the Dwarves fight with the for to get it open.

The Savage charges out of the woods, his form a giant black bear. The son of the man that murdered so much of my people.

Once inside with the door shut and locked. I was shaking with anger.

"What is that?" Ori asked.

"A savage known as a Skin-Changer," I growled. "The son of the man that declared war on my Clan and murdered so many of my people." My fist went into the wall, I barely winced hearing the crack. I screamed letting out years of pent of anger and grief.

I felt the hot tears falling, I knew I threw what I could but I couldn't calm down. I could only see the Savage's face in front of me.

I lashed out going to kill the Savage but two powerful hands forced me to the floor.

"Let me go!" I screamed.

Thorin's voice came through, quietly at first before I realized he was yelling my name repeatedly. 

Alastor was also screaming my name in our mindlink. I had completely pushed him out.

I started sobbing realizing I had struck Thorin believing it was the Savage. His jaw and neck was red, I had hit him in a blind rage.

Thorin pulled me into his arms, holding my wrists tight to stop me from attacking again. "Easy easy," he comforted. "Breathe in and out."

"I'm sorry," I sobbed. I was a child, no older then five years when the Skin-Changers attacked the Clan. I remember hiding in a small closet while they tried to slaughter us only for having dragons.

I felt the rage being replaced with guilt. "I'm sorry, I don't know what came over me."

Dwalin spoke up. "It's alright lass, us old warriors had seen the unfairness of war."

That night I laid against Thorin's chest as we all huddled to eat some sort of food. Animals was inside the house, cattle and goats. One goat, a pretty black and white one was sitting in my lap, content on being petted.

Thorin rubbed his sore jaw.

"Still sore?" I asked.

"Yeah, I know now that you like swinging first and ask questions later."

"I'm sorry," I said softly.

"No its alright, I'm alright." He kissed the top of my head. "Come on let's get some sleep." He then led me to a secluded spot to have some sort of rest.

I barely slept, my emotions played into my nightmares. Ones I hasn't had since I was a child. Waking up again into my night, I felt Thorin rubbing my back, holding me against his chest.

"You was shaking," he comforted.

"Nightmares I hadn't had since I was a child," I explained.

He kissed my forehead. "Do you want to talk about it?"

I shook my head, tears streaked down. "No. I thought I was strong for suppressing it but I guess I'm not strong."

"You are strong amrâlimê," he says.

I look up at him, I didn't understand the word but I could feel the tone. It was soft, gentle almost.

He cupped my cheek. "You are a warrior of the North, how many people can say they have a tamed dragon?"

I manage to let out a soft laugh, it was painful to laugh mentally. I felt safe in Thorin's arms.

"Everything will be alright amrâlimê," Thorin comforted. "I'm here, I'll never leave you to deal with this on your own."

I nodded, comforted by his words. I slept easier knowing Thorin was by my side. I could only pray to the Great Sprit to guide me to my future.