Sleight of Hand

"I wouldn't call myself optimistic... It's more like I trust you guys a lot."

"This will probably sound really weird, since you don't know me at all, but I know that you're all good people who'd never kill your friends. Even if we do have to stay here forever, at least no one's going to betray and kill one another..."

"This is really stupid, but I've always wanted to be an actual author..."

"You can catch the thief, right? You can stop them and change their mind, right?"

"I guess I'll see you in the morning..."

Jade, still wearing her blue dress, was lying facedown in a bunch of crimson splatters that stained the carpet. Her pale arms were splayed out in front of her head, as though she had been trying to crawl away before collapsing on the spot. The begonia that was still clipped onto her black hair dipped down into the blood, staining the edges of the white petals.

Seto said nothing, felt nothing other than his heart thumping rapidly in his chest. He didn't scream or make any sound at all. It was as though a cold wave of numbness had swept over him, making all of his emotions shut off automatically. He raced over to the body and grabbed Jade's left wrist with trembling fingers, feeling for a pulse.

There was none.

Seto heard someone shriek loudly and whirled around to see Annie and Ashley standing there. Annie was covering her mouth with her hands, quivering as she stared at the awful sight. Ashley, whose brown eyes were wide with disbelief, darted over to the body and turned it to the side to show Jade's bloodstained face. Seto shivered when he saw the blood smearing Jade's glasses, shielding her closed eyes. Ashley gasped and she let the body fall back to its original position.

A BODY HAS BEEN DISCOVERED! MonoWither's voice said cheerily through the speakers. Now then, after a certain amount of time has passed, the Show Trial will begin!

Chills ran up and down Seto's spine as he heard the gleeful message. A body... discovered... He briefly wondered if he was dreaming, hoped and prayed that this was all fiction, but hopes and prayers meant nothing in this place. The proof was right in front of him.

Soon enough, the rest of the people came rushing in once they heard the announcement. "OH MY GOD!" Mitch shouted in absolute horror the moment he saw the body.

Jerome, who was standing next to him, staggered backwards. "I- I-" He looked like he was about to puke.

"Oh no, oh no no no..." Sky stammered. "This is not happening..."

"What's going on?!" Bonks asked, pushing her way to the front of the crowd. She cried out in shock the moment she saw the body. "JADE!"

Bart's pupils dilated in horror (an unusual response for the typically unfazed Enderman) and he attempted to shield both Steven and Dave's eyes, but Steven saw it anyway. Steven raced to Jade's side and touched her shoulder, but then quickly drew his hand back when he realized how cold and unresponsive Jade felt. "What happened to her?! Why is she...?"

Seto stared blankly at Steven. "Jade's dead," he murmured, his voice devoid of emotion.

"What?!" Tyler asked, his face pale as snow. He started smiling instinctively. "That's a joke, right?"

"This is not a joke. Jade is dead," Seto continued matter-of-factly. He didn't understand why he was speaking so calmly. He was completely devoid of all feeling, as though he was walking through an empty haze. "I can feel no pulse. The blood is somewhat dry, indicating that this death occurred several hours ago."