Once Upon a Midnight Dreary

(A/N: I could not get rid of this plot bunny, so here you go. This is really just for fun, though.)

PROLOGUE: SEASON PREMIERE

Seto banged his right fist desperately against the door, his other hand covering his nose and mouth in order to block out the toxic gas that was now spreading throughout the room. Still, the sweet-smelling gas made its way into his lungs, making Seto cough erratically. His overwhelming panic didn't help matters, only speeding up the process as his heart pumped furiously in his chest.

Why don't any of my spells work?

Gradually, Seto's struggles to break down the door grew weaker as he lost control over his muscles. His legs quivered like jelly before giving way. He sank to the floor, terror flooding his wide brown eyes. "H-h-h-e-e-l-p... m-e-e-e..." he stuttered, his mind a whirlwind of confusion and dizziness. He couldn't breathe anymore. Oh god, he didn't want to die! Not like this, not right now! He could already feel his mind going blank...

Seto laid his head against the floor and closed his eyes, succumbing to the shrouds of darkness.

~~~

Hey... Hey Seto... You alright?

Seto's eyelids twitched. That voice... It sounded familiar...

I think he's waking up.

Another familiar voice. This one was female. Seto's sluggish mind slowly registered the fact that someone shaking his shoulder.

"Ugh..." Seto mumbled.

You're almost there... Come on Seto, you can do it... Just open your eyes... The first voice said.

"SETO, WAKE UP!!!"

Seto's eyes shot open in surprise and he yelled in indignation. His heartbeat soared and his eyes darted back and forth, staring at a bunch of people peering down at him. But these weren't just any random people...

"It worked!" the guy who'd shouted directly in his ear said happily. "He's awake!"

"Sky?" Seto asked, confused.

The curly-haired guy smiled. "Well hello to you too, Sleeping Beauty. Did you have a nice nap?"

Seto quickly scanned the faces. There was Sky, who was still grabbing his shoulder. There was Mitch and Jerome, who he hadn't seen in several months, since they had gone on some Victory Tour. There was Steven, who was also with Bart the Enderman and Dave the zombie. There was Deceptibonk, a humanoid orchid mantis, who was clutching her sketchbook tightly. Finally, there was Bodil, who had his trademark mischievous smile on his face.

Seto sat up and rubbed his eyes. "What... What are you all doing here...?"

"Don't you remember?" Sky asked, suddenly worried.

"His mind's probably a little fuzzy right now," Bonks replied. "I know I was when I woke up. Hey Seto, are you feeling okay?"

"Y-Yeah Bonks, I'm fine, I'm just... trying to remember how I got here..." Seto rubbed his temples, concentrating intensely.

"Reality TV show. Does that ring a bell?" Mitch said.

Reality TV show. Reality TV show. Reality... TV... Show...

"Didn't you get a letter a week ago?" Steven asked. "Maybe it's in one of your pockets. I left mine at home."

"I lost mine," Sky said sheepishly.

Seto reached into one of his pockets and pulled out a folded piece of paper. He unfolded it with trembling fingers and scanned the contents. "Dear Seto:" he read aloud, "You have been selected, along with 14 others, to participate in an upcoming reality TV show titled 'Super Duper Minecrafters.'"