Who was he, and why is he concerned about me? The only other person who had been that worried about me was Silas. Did Silas send him?

That seemed like the most logical explination. I doubt that Deacon would have sent someone in to give me time to rest and worry over me like a mother hen. Besides, he didn't look cruel like most men that came in, but I knew looks could be deceiving.

He held his hands up in the "I'm not going to hurt you" position.

When I opened my mouth to speak, all that came out was a hoarse cough. The male quickly leaned down towards the ground beside the bed. I flinched from his sudden movement, terrified of what he would do to me.

He must have seen my actions out of the corner of his eye, because his head snapped back to face mine with a cringe on his face.

"I'm sorry, I didn't mean to scare you. I just brought you some water." He showed me the bottle of clear liquid.

I hesitated, not confident enough in this stranger to take a drink of what he's offering, even though my throat felt raw and my mouth started to salivate, just begging for the water.

He must have noticed my hesitation, because he added, "It's sealed, no one has opened it. See?" He showed me the cap that had yet to be twisted opened.

My muscles felt like they were on fire as I lifted my hand out to grab the plastic container from him. As soon as I had the water in my hands, he retreated a few steps from the bed.

Trying to not show how weak I truly was, I struggled to not drop the bottle immediately after he handed it to me, the sixteen ounces feeling like a hundred pounds to my shaking muscles. I felt tears pool in my eyes was even harder to try and twist the cap off.

"Do you want some help?" A quiet voice came from a few feet away. A lone tear slipped down my face as I glanced up at him. I nodded and a tried to hand him the plastic container, but it slipped out of my fingers and onto the floor, rolling to a stop a few yards away.

"I- I- I'm sorry," I whispered, my chin quivering. I couldn't think straight, and my emotions were in overdrive.

This was it; he would get mad at me for dropping the water, thinking I was stupid and weak, and  I would be punished. I feared that any sort of blow right now would either cause a blackout or make me feel so much pain that I wished I was unconscious. I wasn't sure which was worse at the moment.

Without saying a word, he leaned down and grabbed the bottle, easily twisted the cap of, and held it out to me. As soon as he seemed sure that I had a good grip on it this time, he retreated back a few steps again. 

Not sure how long his niceties would last, I guzzled the water down, the liquid instantly soothing my sore throat. I managed to almost completely empty the bottle before pulling it away to gasp for a breath.

I heard him clear his throat, then say,  "You might want to slow down.  I don't have any clue what drugs they have you, and I don't need you throwing up on my watch, princess."

I paused and felt my face go pale. The only people who gave me nicknames were Deacon or one of Deacon's friends. I knew I let my guard down too soon.  I knew I couldn't trust him.  I knew-

A phone ringing interrupted my thoughts. I heard the man say something obscene before reaching into his back pocket to yank the device out.

"What?" He snapped into the phone, and I flinched at his tone. There was a slight pause before he said in a much gentler tone of voice, "Sorry, boss."

I was too far away to great what was being said, but watched as his eyes flicked up to my form.

"Yes, everything's fine."

A few more seconds passed before his gaze dropped back down to the floor.

"I know, I know."

He frowned at what the other person was saying.

"Are you sure?"

My heart leaped up to my throat, unsure of what was really going on.

"Just remember, if something happens, this was your idea," he grumbled, before holding the phone out to me.

I stared at him, stunned and honestly unsure of what he wanted me to do.

The stranger shrugged. "He wants to talk to you." He shook the phone at me. I hesitated, before my shaking fingers reached out of clutch the mobile.

I held the phone up to my ear, not saying anything.

"Emerson?" A firm, but soft, masculine voice echoed through the phone.

"S-S-Silas?" It came out raspy and weak, but he must have heard me because I got an immediate response.

"Yeah, Em. It's Silas. I just wanted to check on you. Are you ok? How are you feeling?"

What was going on? This stranger in the room knew Silas, was friends with Silas, not Deacon? But then why was he here?

I had heard the concern laced in his tone, and tried swallowing the lump in my throat before replying.

"I'm fine." The response was automatic, and seemed to upset him, because his tone hardened ever so slightly, trying to push the truth out.

"Don't lie to me, Emerson. What hurts?"

My lip quivered, not because I was scared, but because I'd never had anyone around who actually cared whether I lied or not. Even Harper accepted my response and moved on. But somehow, over a phone, and after only meeting me a handful of times, Silas could tell that I wasn't fine, not even close.

"E-e-everything," I managed to stammer out before the tears began to fall again.

His soothing voice filled my ears. "I know, Em. I'm so sorry. My friend that's there, his name is Jack." I glanced up at the man in question. He seemed to sense my eyes on him, because he met my gaze and gave me the one nod. "He's going to give you something for the pain, ok? It will help-"

He was cut off by the door being kicked open, and I felt all the blood drain from my face and my bones go cold.

"What's going on in here?" A familiar voice growled. I pressed my body as far into the bed as it would go, willing myself to dissappear, wishing this was still a part of my dream, that I would wake up.

Everything happened in a blur. I felt the phone getting ripped out of my hand. There was yelling, cursing, and a huge scuffle as the man Silas had sent got dragged out. He shouted something at me, but I couldn't hear past the ringing in my ears.

A red face entered my view, the mouth moving but I couldn't make out most of the words.

"... dare... punish... know... show... face... no..."

I felt a pinch in my arm, which seemed to jolt me awake long enough to hear what was being said.

"... do with him, boss?"

A psychotic smile lit up his face. "Make him suffer before pulling the trigger."

I felt my heart drop for the man who had done nothing but try to help me.

"Pl-pl-pl-please." I managed to croak out. I felt something wet trail down my cheeks.

My head twisted to the left, a stinging pain on my face letting me know that I had been slapped.

"And you. You are going to wish that you were dead when I'm done with you. Not that I'm going to be done with you anytime soon."

I felt my eyelids droop; they felt like they had weights attached to them, and I struggled to keep them open.

"No, my girl. There is no end in sight for you anytime soon."

I gave up on the struggle and let them close. At least everything would dissappear for a while.

*        *        *        *        *        *        *

Hope you guys enjoyed!

PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE MAKE SURE THAT YOU COMMENT, VOTE, AND FOLLOW!!! Again, I love hearing what you guys have to say about the story and what you think so far!

Thanks for reading! See you guys in the next update!!!!