Chapter 45 - Turn of Events

The night witnessed both their frustrations, anger and also love.

Flashback ends

-----------------------------------------------------------

Kalindi came out of the thoughts of their previous night together and ordered the maids to remove the plates.  Just then Gopi came in and greeted her.  Kalindi was surprised that Gopi came to the palace after such a long time, ever since the truth was revealed to her.  So she asked, "What happened Gopi? Suddenly you are here?".  Gopi replied, "Yuvrani, I got the order from Yuvraj, to stay by your side from today onwards".   Kalindi frowned at this, as Abhyuday had stopped Gopi from shadowing her and now suddenly he ordered again.  She kept her doubts to herself and nodded at Gopi to start her work.

Kalindi went back to her room and changed into her night dress.  When she was about to sleep, Lekha came running and said while being out of breath, "Yuvrani, Maharaj's health deteriorated and Royal Vaidh ji is looking into the matter".  As soon as she said this, Kalindi walked out of the chamber in a hurry.  When she reached Maharaj's chamber, Oormila was already present.  Unlike the previous two times when he fell ill, this time around, Oormila was not crying but rather looked anxious and tensed.  Kalindi frowned at this and thought may be he is not serious.  Soon Abhyuday reached the chamber and even the King of Khamboj came with his family.  Kaushal was not present there and Nitara was being consoled by Ruthira. 

Abhyuday went inside and talked to Vaidh ji, who told, "Yuvraj, it's not any illness but a poison".  Abhyuday said with a stoic face, "Then prepare the remedy for that".  Vaidh ji sighed and said, "Its not a simple poison Yuvraj.  Someone has fed it to him everyday for atleast a month or may be more.  I couldn't identify the particular poison so right now, I'm just giving generic remedy for slow poison which will stabilize him for few weeks.  But we need to find the actual poison for me to cure him completely that too, as soon as possible".   Abhyuday nodded at him to continue and turned back to leave the chamber but stopped for a moment.

Yuvraj Abhyuday turned again and said, "Vaidh ji, I hope you know what happens to people who are disloyal".  The vaidh nodded at him and Yuvraj went away.  The vaidh ji distinctly remember how the previous Royal midwife had disappeared without a trace, within a few days of Maharani Chandria's death.  It was just the day before Yuvraj's departure to his Gurukul and no one could find out what actually happened.   But the vaidh knows that Yuvraj had a hand in that since he himself ordered the vaidh to look for a new midwife to assist him, as the old one got what she deserved for her betrayal.  Vaidh ji was a nobody to reveal that, Yuvraj had punished the midwife, especially without evidence.  So he kept mum about the incident.  Coming out of the past thoughts, Vaidh ji continued his work.

Abhyuday came out and said, "Maharaj is stable.  His previous health issues came back and vaidh ji is treating him.  He strictly mentioned that Maharaj needs absolute bedrest.  So hereafter, no-one is allowed to enter Maharaj's chamber".  Yuvraj looked at Oormila's direction and said, "Literally No-one".  Oormila didn't open her mouth to argue as she knew that he can easily overpower her.  Everyone left for their chambers.

Kalindi asked Yuvraj, "What is the problem, Yuvraj? I can feel that you are hiding something".  Abhyuday sighed and narrated her the whole truth about slow poison and then said, "I need to find out who did this and what was the poison".  Kalindi thought back to the night where she went to meet Maharaj and Oormila serving him food and drinks which was an unusual sight before that.  She told, "I suspect that Oormila has something to do with this ".  Abhyuday nodded and said, "I too doubt her and I'm going to order for thorough search of her chamber".  Kalindi shook her head and said, "It would just be a waste of time as she would have definitely cleaned all the traces".  After a moment she continued, "I think we should get her most loyal maid into custody.  It is obvious that every dirty work is handled by her.  So she will be of some use".

Yuvraj nodded and ordered to bring the old maid to the basement where he will do the interrogation.  His soldiers informed him that the maid has been brought to the basement and suddenly Oormila burst through the door without permission.  She shouted at Abhyuday, "How dare you send guards inside my chamber without my permission?  You may not have any respect towards me but I'm still the Queen of Rakshatra.  I can even order that your Yuvraj title should be stripped off.  Don't underestimate me".

Abhyuday was silent till she finished and then said cryptically, "I have under-estimated you once.  And I won't do that ever again.  And regarding your power as a Queen to strip me off my title, then I'm glad to inform you that you were misinformed.  If the Queen is my biological mother then only the power is available to take away my title.  Otherwise it is only the King who can do that".  Oormila fumed at him and said, "It won't be too long before you become an Orphan".

Abhyuday laughed at her words and said, "I had been living as an orphan until a few months ago.  If you are thinking about harming my wife and child then think more than twice before doing so".  His voice should have scared anyone who was standing before him but this time, Oormila didn't have much to loose but everything to gain.  So she challenged him by looking into his eyes and went away.

Once she was out, Yuvraj ordered Laksh to interrogate the old maid and get some evidence.  Oormila, on the other hand, sent a guard to bring Kaushal back to the palace from wherever he went.  Now, all she can do is wait till her son comes back and hope that her maid keeps her mouth shut till then.  It was already early in the morning when Kalindi got some sleep after all the chaos and slept till afternoon.  Meanwhile Abhyuday came to check upon her and after a few minutes went back to check the status of the old maid, without even taking any rest.

When Kalindi woke up and got to know this, she immediately brought him back from the basement and made him eat alongwith her.  Abhyuday said, "The maid has accepted that she did the poisoning but doesn't accept that it was Oormila who asked her to do".   Kalindi said, "Did she reveal the name of the poison?".  Yuvraj replied, "No, but Laksh is positive that we will get it by today".   Kalindi nodded and said, "Ok".

Just then they were interrupted by a knock, followed by Rekha who delivered the message, "Yuvraj, Maharaj gained consciousness and he has already ordered for an urgent assembly of the Royal court".  Abhyuday asked Kalindi to stay back in the chamber as she had already been tired, and then he went to meet Maharaj.  When Yuvraj entered the King's chamber, he was breathing heavily while even blood came out of his mouth.

Abhyuday stood blankly staring at the hustle and bustle of the Vaidh ji and his assistants helping Maharaj to sit properly and also cleaning up his blood.  Maharaj looked at him with his red teary eyes, due to heavy coughing and waved his hand to call him nearby.  Abhyuday came near him and Maharaj Virendra slowly stood up from bed. He staggered a bit and Abhyuday held him straight and asked, "Why are you straining yourself?".  Virendra looked at him, whose expression didn't change even a bit and said, "I don't know whether I will be able to survive or not.  But the Kingdom shouldn't be without a King.  I want to hand over the throne to you as well as the secrets attached to it". 

On the other hand, Oormila was restless as Kaushal had not arrived yet and she doesn't even know where he went.  It was just past the lunch time when Kaushal arrived in her chambers.  Oormila was relieved and asked his whereabouts.  Kaushal felt awkward to disclose that he went to the courtesan's place and slept through the night, so he said, "I was just nearby.  What was the issue? Why did you call urgently?".  Oormila filled him upon the latest news and said, "Just now I got to know that Maharaj has called upon the Royal court urgently.  I have an intuition that he would talk about Abhyuday's coronation.  We have to make our move now.  Otherwise we may never get a chance".

Glossary:

Maharaj - King
Maharani - Queen
Yuvraj - Crown Prince
Yuvrani - Crown Princess
Rajkumar - Prince
Bhai - Brother
Bhabhi - sister-in-law
Vaidh ji - Doctor
Chacha - Father's younger brother
Shastrasala - Godown of weapons with practice arena
Gurudev - Teacher

-----------------------------------------------------------

Hi guys,

Do vote and comment if you like the chapter.

Thanks,
SM.