Chapter 43 - Ceremony

Kalindi denied her request without any hesitation saying that it is their private time and they wouldn't compromise on it.  Ruthira's face lost the smile at her reply but nodded and went away.  Soon the day of engagement came as Kalindi entered her fourth month of pregnancy which couldn't hide the glow on her face as well as the small swell on her belly.

-----------------------------------------------------------

Kalindi was getting dressed for the engagement ceremony with the help of her maids when Abhyuday came in.  He had already stopped her sword practice after a week of the guests entry.  The maids left the chamber to give the couple some privacy.  Kalindi stood up and Abhyuday hugged her from the back as they both looked at their own images in the mirror.  After a few minutes of silence, Abhyuday said, "I think we should announce the pregnancy to everyone.  Because now the baby bump cannot be hidden for long".  Kalindi agreed to his words with a smile and caressed his face, which was kept on her shoulder, and said while looking into his eyes through the mirror, "I can keep our baby safe.  Don't worry and trust me.  It's my promise". 

Abhyuday smiled at her words and kissed her head and then both of them went towards the ceremony hall.  Some of the nearby kingdoms were invited including Kalindi's parents.  Once they reached the hall, everyone took their seats.  Princess Ruthira was glancing towards Yuvraj Abhyuday every now and then with a heartbroken look while Abhyuday glanced at her direction feeling the stare and just turned away.  Kalindi seemed to be engrossed in the rituals being held for the new couple.   Princess Ruthira thought about the incident of the previous day when she met Yuvraj Abhyuday in Shastrasala and spoke with him in private.

Flashback

Princess Ruthira came to Shastrasala alone, without even a single maid and requested Abhyuday for a few minutes to talk.  He didn't want to speak with her alone but owing to her position as Princess, he decided to give her some respect and asked her to follow him to the weapons room.  Even after a few minutes, Ruthira couldn't speak out her mind so Abhyuday asked, "Princess, I have several other appointments where I'm needed.  So if you really have anything to talk about, please make it quick".

Finally Ruthira said, "Yuvraj, I have been in love with you for the past five years ever since I got to know about you.  I have only heard about your bravery till I came here.  When I heard of your marriage, I felt bad but then I thought my feelings will go off.  Now after coming here and seeing your love and care for Yuvrani, made my feelings even stronger.  The man whom I thought to be a brave hero, is also a loving and caring husband.  And this made me love you more.  I wish to marry you, Yuvraj.  Please don't mistake my intentions Yuvraj, I never thought of taking Yuvrani's place nor would I ever think of that in future.  I just want to have a share of your heart.  I will be happy to have even a small place in your heart.  Hope you will consider my feelings and give me a positive answer". 

After that Princess Ruthira turned to leave when Abhyuday said, "Princess, you don't need to wait for your answer.  I have your answer already.  I don't want to marry you".  She turned back and looked at him with tears in her eyes, as although she had prepared for a negative answer, she thought he will take time to think about her words and give a consideration for her love.  She asked while controlling her emotions, "Why?".  To which Abhyuday replied, "You may be happy with receiving a small place in my heart.  But My Kalindi will not be happy receiving anything less than my whole heart".  Ruthira was about to argue about not snatching anything from Kalindi, when Yuvraj continued, "Neither will I be happy.  I hope you understand my words and keep this matter die within you.  Because it won't do any good if it is known to others".

Saying so, Abhyuday left the place and Ruthira's tears fell down her cheeks, facing the first rejection she got.

Flashback ends

Maharaj coughed heavily which brought everyone's attention to him including Ruthira's.  Oormila who was beside him, patted his back and chest immediately in concern.  King Dhruvasena asked concernedly, "Are you ok, Maharaj?".  After feeling better, Maharaj Virendra replied, "Im good.  It's just normal cough which has been with me since my previous illness".   Abhyuday remained unaffected and Kalindi seemed alert on hearing his words.  Once the ceremony was completed and the guests went to their chambers, Abhyuday and Kalindi remained with the Royal family members of Rakshatra and Khamboj, except Nitara as she was the bride-to-be. 

Then Abhyuday called Maharaj gaining everyone's attention, "Maharaj, I want to inform you that Yuvrani is with child.  It is predicted that she has already entered her 4th month".  Maharaj's happiness knew no bounds at the good news but King of Kamboj looked at Princess Ruthira who nodded in no, with tears in her eyes but a small smile playing in her lips.  King Dhruvasena gave her a sad smile as he remembered how she persuaded him to talk to Maharaj Virendra regarding her marriage with Yuvraj Abhyuday.

Kalindi was keenly watching Oormila's expression and she didn't miss the stiffening of her body on the news for a few minutes.  But quickly she got back her composure and showed her happy face.  Then Abhyuday along with Kalindi came back to their chamber and immediately, Laksh informed Abhyuday that he has got something important to inform Abhyuday and also they have received a letter from Parth.  Yuvraj didn't want Kalindi to take stress about this, so he asked her to go to their bedroom for rest.  Kalindi stared at him seriously and said, "Don't give me the excuse of Stress Yuvraj.  When you stopped my sword practice, I didn't force you for the real reason behind it, as I know that stress couldn't be a reason.  So atleast now let me know what is happening". 

Yuvraj sighed and said, "As the Yuvrani of Rakshatra, you deserve to know this.  It's really stressful even for me, when I had been expecting this all along.  That's why I didn't want to scare you".  Then all three of them went to the study chamber and Laksh informed him about the movements of the people whom their spies were watching.  And then he read out Parth's letter as well, which made them clueless as well as scared for a moment.  Laksh said urgently, "Yuvraj, the assassin who was caught yesterday had tried to escape but we have stopped him but as usual he didn't speak anything". 

Kalindi asked about this and Laksh replied, "Yuvrani, we capture all the assassins, who come to kill Yuvraj, so as to find out the source and evidence but they will never talk.  We later found out that they arrive here with their tongues cut off.  We tried to get them to write any information but they were very loyal and scared as well.  Ultimately within two days they will die.  Our vaidh had also checked their bodies everytime but no poison was found in their body".  Kalindi found it strange and said, "Shall I examine them once?".

The three of them entered the basement in the palace where usually Yuvraj kept his assassins.  After seeing the person handcuffed to the ceiling and hanging with blood all over his body, Kalindi wrinkled her nose as it evoked the nausea again.  So she tied the handkerchief around her nose which covered her face except the eyes.  Then she went on to examine the person.  Meantime, Laksh asked Yuvraj, "Did you tell Yuvrani, the reason for halting her sword practice?".  Abhyuday replied, "No, it is not even a sure thing.  Since the influx of assassins increased, I had an intuition that they will easily trace back our secret path from palace.  That's why I banned everyone from using that path to the palace and cited stress as a reason for the sudden halt in her practice".  Kalindi turned back and looked at the two whispering men and said, "What are you whispering with each other? I have found something, come and take a look".

Abhyuday and Laksh went near her and saw that she was holding the assassin's mouth open.  Laksh said, "Yuvrani, I can only see the cut off tongue.  Nothing else".  Abhyuday also took a look but couldn't find anything.  Kalindi asked them to smell near the mouth and both the men took a sniff as they were told.  Abhyuday said, "It smells like some kind of fragrance".  Laksh nodded at this in affirmation.  Then Kalindi nodded and said, "Yes, it's a fragrance of a flower".

Glossary:

Maharaj - King
Maharani - Queen
Yuvraj - Crown Prince
Yuvrani - Crown Princess
Rajkumar - Prince
Bhai - Brother
Bhabhi - sister-in-law
Vaidh ji - Doctor
Chacha - Father's younger brother
Shastrasala - Godown of weapons with practice arena
Gurudev - Teacher

-----------------------------------------------------------

Hi guys,

Do vote and comment if you like the chapter.

Thanks,
SM.