Chapter 12 - Facade

After thinking for sometime, the King issued the order, "Send a reply to the King of Khulam that Yuvraj doesn't want to proceed with the marriage for the sake of political reasons.  And invite him for a friendly visit here".  The minister accepted the order and started his work.  Soon everyone dispersed from the Darbar.  And Nitara pulled a shocked Kalindi away from the Darbar.  Kalindi thought, "What is going on in his mind?  Clearly his decision was not because of me or his love for me.  But is it simply his choice and principles?".

-----------------------------------------------------------

It was evening and Abhyuday just came to the Palace premises after finishing his work outside the Palace, while the King was taking rest in his chamber.  Suddenly a maid called out for the King, then came inside after getting permission.  She folded her hands to greet the King and said, "King, there was a mishap and Queen is injured".  The King immediately rushed out and went to the Queen's chamber which is next to his chamber.  Oormila was crying in pain as her leg seems to be twisted and one of the maids was massaging the leg with oil.  King Virendra came near her and inspected her injury.  Seeing that it is not just a normal injury, he asked the maids to call for the vaidhji (Doctor) and waited for him.  Meanwhile Kaushal and Nitara also came to check upon their mother, and after them, came Kalindi as usual with a neutral face without any concern visible on her face.  Then the Vaidhji came and tested Queen's legs and said, "The fall had been quite fatal, my King.  I will put give some ointment and instruct the maids to wrap it in a cloth.  But definitely it will take minimum a month to cure completely".

Oormila was shocked by this and on the other hand, King virendra was thanking God for it was curable.  Vaidhji went away and one by one Kaushal, Nitara and Kalindi also left after wishing the Queen to get well soon. While leaving, Kalindi heard the King yelling at the Queen's personal maids as he said, "How can you be careless in checking up the pathway before the Queen takes a walk?  And this is the second time this is happening.  First it was at the shastrasala where she almost fell and Yuvraj got angry on the issue.  Now again the same incident, but this time she fell and broke her legs.  What is your work here?". After that Kalindi went away from there with an unnoticeable mirth in her eyes. 

At the time when these people were checking upon the Queen, Parth and Abhyuday were discussing about the military affairs in the private practice room in shastrasala.  Parth asked, "Abhi, Aren't you going to meet the Queen? To inquire about her health".  Abhyuday glared at him hard which made Parth sigh.  Then he corrected himself, "I mean to say that as a yuvraj, you could atleast go for the sake of courtesy right.  People might get a wrong impression of you, if this matter spread out.  And who else do we need to spread this matter, when there is your step brother, Kaushal".  Abhyuday got up from his seat and looked at the palace visible from the window, with his hands tied at his back.  Parth stood up as well and faced his friend's back turned towards him, waiting for him to speak.  After sometime Abhyuday said, "I don't care about what other's think of me.  Anyways everyone think of me as a heartless and Ruthless person.  One more wouldn't change anything.  As far as that woman is concerned, I wouldn't even attend her funeral then how can I go and inquire about her health status.  I strongly doubt that it was not an accident".  Parth asked, "You mean someone tried to attack her.  Who could be this new enemy?".  Abhyuday turned to look at his friend with a ridicule in his eyes and said, "Is your brain working fine? Who is the new enemy when the biggest of all is right within the palace.  I doubt it was either simply an act  or deliberate action which that woman has put up to get sympathy from the King".  Parth made an 'O' face and said, "Abhi, now I feel that I shouldn't get married more than once.  Otherwise I will have to see different kinds of drama everyday".  Abhyuday let out a light chuckle at his friends dramatic face.

Then they went to the Palace and towards Yuvraj's chamber when they encountered Kalindi along with her maids, who were returning to their chamber.  They met at the entrance before they enter their respective chambers.  Parth greeted Kalindi, "Good evening, Yuvrani".  Kalindi replied politely with the neutral expression, "Good evening, Bhai (Brother)".  And then she greeted Abhyuday, "Good evening, Yuvraj".  Abhyuday nodded at her as a reply.  When they were about to go seperate ways after their ever so formal greeting, Parth asked, "Have you checked upon your flowers Yuvrani?".  He just asked that to keep up the conversation for sometime.  "We have already checked it in the morning, Bhai.  Now I'm coming after wishing good health for the Queen", Kalindi replied him.  As soon as she said it, Abhyuday frowned at her while Parth inquired further, "So how is she, I mean, the Queen?".  Kalindi replied without any change in expression, "She has injured her legs deeply it seems.  Vaidhji (Doctor) has tied it up with medicine and asked to rest for atleast a month".

Abhyuday noticed the happiness in her eyes while talking about the injury but her words and voice didn't give out anything about her thoughts.  Kalindi diverted her attention to Abhyuday after being stared at by him.  He still looked at her in the eyes and then Kalindi asked him directly, "Yuvraj, Have you not visited the Queen yet?".  Abhyuday came out of his thoughts and said, "No.  I have other important works".  Kalindi didn't say anything as she had already seen his non-existent concern towards his own father.  And given the relationship with his stepmother as she had witnessed already, it is not a mystery that he doesn't care or worry about her.  Parth continued, "Yeah, Yuvraj has to give bath to mehdooth, that is the Royal elephant.  It doesn't allow anyone else besides Yuvraj.  And also a proper bath is given only once a month.  So it's really important".   Abhyuday glared at him and then went away to his chamber after wishing her.  Parth followed him and then got the necessary documents from Abhyuday and went away.  Abhyuday thinking about what he saw outside his chamber.  He is sure that Kalindi was happy about the incident and was trying hard to conceal it.  Then he chucked that thought out, thinking that she was happy as she couldn't fight back with Oormila but the latter herself got the punishment.  Then he too went away to give bath to mehdooth, who loves taking bath at nights.

Kalindi also entered her chamber and asked Gopi to prepare hot water for drinking.  Once she went out, Kalindi asked the other two maids, "First step is done perfectly.  Good job.  Now how about the second step?".   Rekha answered, "Yes Yuvrani, it's done.  The injury would not heal for another two months.  When the other maids were grinding the herbs for Queen, we have mixed the gangrew flower among them.  So it would negate the effects of the herbs given by Vaidhji".  Kalindi nodded at her and relaxed in her seat.  It was her order to make the clay pool on the pathway for the Queen to slip and that too without any suspicions in the name of watering the plants and so on.  The two maids should be appreciated for completing both their tasks sneakily.  But it is no surprise as these two were partner in crime of Kalindi from the early years itself.  Soon the night went by.

Two days went by after the incident and the Darbar got the reply from the foreign king.  A Minister read the reply which stated that the King of Khulam will come to Rakshatra, along with his Queen and Daughter. And they will arrive by the end of this week.  So King Virendra ordered, "Prepare for welcoming the King and his family.  There should be no errors in the preparation. This is diplomatically important visit so I don't want any mistakes in anything".  The Darbar was dispersed and the preparations started.  Another meeting was held in the common hall of the inner palace with the Royal family members and King Virendra said, "Since the Queen is not well, the arrangements in the internal palace will be looked after by Yuvrani.  We shouldn't give any reason for them to point out a wrong.  I hope Yuvrani will do the needful".  Kalindi accepted the responsibility and assured the King.  After everyone left, Abhyuday told Kalindi, "Don't over work yourself.  If you need any help, then take it from Gopi".  Kalindi nodded and then he went away. 

-----------------------------------------------------------

Hi guys,

Do vote and comment if you like the chapter.

Thanks,
SM.