Finale Part 4: Breaking Point

Start from the beginning

The two share a quick hug before Elliot went back to Milo, hangin out with him. Jake smiled at them before going back into his room and closing the door. Jake began to wonder why he was left to remember it. Why did it happen in the first place? What can he do now to move on? The thoughts swirl in Jakes mind, 30 minutes going by before his phone snapped him out of his spiral. He grabbed it, seeing 6 texts from Hailey, and Hailey currently calling him. Jake flinched, realizing he spaced out and answering it.

"H-Hey Hails! Sorry, I uh... Got side tracked! What game-"

"Jake... Enough."

Hailey cut him off, causing Jake's spine to feel colder.

"Hailey I-"

"Don't... Don't lie to me right now Jake, I know you're not being honest with me anymore, and it's really starting to get under my skin..."

Hailey says, her voice slightly breaking.

"You never come over anymore, you refuse to even step foot into the club... not even to see me... Whenever you run into us, you shudder, try to act okay but I can see it in your eyes... I can't keep seeing you like this Jake... Why can't you just talk to me... Why won't you let us help you?.."

Hailey asked, Jake shuddering. His eyes close as he began to scratch his arm slightly.

"...I don't know."

Jake responded, He didn't know why he kept shoving them away... He didn't know why he couldn't stop feeling... fear around them. He knew where he was, he knows he's accepted and yet... Hailey was heard softly taking a breath, almost sniffling.

"...Do you just... want to break it off..."

Hailey blurted out, causing Jake's eyes to go wide. Panic slowly began to seep into his mind, trying to think of how to respond, obviously he didn't want to break up with her, but he knew why she would feel like this, all the talks he had with Elliot, even his own thoughts.. it all sprang into his mind, and one thing in specific spoke louder than everything else. "Don't push them away, Jake. They care about you." He took in a deep breath, He finally came to terms with one truth..

He is not giving up on her.

He is not giving up on Them.

"...I really don't..."

Jake responded. He fought the urge the slap himself, then shook his head, opening his eyes as he grabbed his jacket and Hailey could hear a bunch of shifting.

"Jake?.."

Hailey called out as Jake had dressed up properly, going to the bathroom to fix his hair as well. He took a deep breath.

"Have you eaten anything yet?"

Jake asked randomly, causing Hailey to flinch.

"Jake...? Uhm... No, Not yet. Why?"

Hailey replied, confused on the sudden shift of Jake's tone. She then heard more shifting, then a door, and finally the wind.

"Jake..?? Where are you-"

Hailey was cut off by her phone suddenly hanging up. She was- now even more confused. Was he coming over? Hailey uncomfortably waited a while before whipping her phone out to try and text him, but then a knock was heard at the front door. Hailey hoped it was him, she hoped maybe he'd finally come to his senses... She approached the door, Zander had gone to bother Bethany or well, more so the other way around as their parents were also busy with something else. As she opened the door... She was tugged outside and pulled into a warmth she had almost forgotten. She felt the jacket wrap around her, the caring arms wrapping around her waist which caused her to instinctively wrap her own arms around his neck. She looked up into his eyes, his beautiful hazelnut brown eyes.

"...Welcome back Jake..."

She said softly, causing him to softly chuckle. She could tell he was still a little nervous, he wasn't fully back to normal but... He needed to try. For now, that was enough for Hailey. She buried her face into his chest and held onto him which caused Jake to smile.

"...Let's go hit up Stacys Mamamia, I brought my wallet this time so.. my treat."

Jake says, and Hailey looked up at him, slightly surprised.

"Woah, The Jake Sterling actually remembers to be a gentleman? Who are you?"

She joked, causing Jake to playfully act offended.

"Why, I'd never been so offended."

They both exchange a look before breaking into a fit of laughter. Jake slowly reaches down and clasped his hand over hers, Hailey squeezing his hand as he did so.

"...I love you Jake..."

She softly mumbled, almost wondering if this was actually happening, but she knew it was.

"I love you too Hailey, I'm so sorry for being so distant... I'm going to try harder. I promise."

Jake says, leaning in and kissing her on the forehead.

"That's all I could ever ask of you..."

Hailey said with a bright smile, holding his hand. The two share a loving gaze before walking off into the moonlight.