Chapter - 24

Two days had elapsed since the last attack, and Shaoshang was stuck in her usual routine, wrestling with a newfound sense of betrayal. She berated herself for falling victim to another man's deceit, and her rage knew no bounds as she schemed to exact her revenge. But her plans were thwarted by the news that he was bedridden due to a fever. Shockingly, he had let his wound fester, worsening his condition. Word of his sacrifice to save a mere assistant had spread throughout the palace, intensifying her concerns.

When Shaoshang heard this from her majesty, her worry ran deep. She knew too well how he had spent his last weeks, and now, with his fever spiraling out of control, her anger mingled with genuine concern. In the midst of this turmoil, she received an unexpected letter. Her initial anger almost prevented her from reading it, but curiosity got the better of her.

"Master, Guo Village . Poison swords. Attack anytime soon."

Shaoshang puzzled over the meaning of "poison swords" at first, but soon realization dawned upon her. It was a dire message, a potential repeat of the tragedy at Zhanli Village. If this warning didn't reach its destination in time, the same massacre could unfold. A chilling realization gripped her.

*FLASHBACK*

AT ZHANLI VILLAGE.

"Lady Cheng, can I talk to you alone?" Qiao Hui asked.

Shaoshang nodded, and they stepped outside.

"If you think I am going to apologize, then-"

Qiao Hui cut her off and said, "No, it's fine. I kind of deserved that, but it was harsh."

"What did you want to say?" Shaoshang inquired.

"Lady Cheng, I need a little help. Zuke would have done it, but he is injured and can't even stand properly."

"What kind of help?"

"Lady Cheng, what I'm about to tell you isn't supposed to be known. But it seems like I have no choice but to include you as well."

"What?"

"Don't you think this village gets attacked way too often? Even though there aren't many resources to plunder."

Shaoshang pondered, and before she could respond, he continued, "It's unusual. The royal court keeps bringing up this matter again and again, as if they want everyone to be focused here. And it's because... a few soldiers of the last Emperor Li are residing here, well hidden."

Shaoshang listened carefully, her confusion slowly giving way to a sense of urgency as Qiao Hui explained the situation further.

"Lady Cheng, I don't expect you to understand everything right away. I need to find these hidden soldiers before the rebels do."

"But they don't look like rebels," she remarked.

"Nor do they to me. Zuke has experience in battles, yet they manage to pierce his shoulder. It's not a minor detail." Qiao Hui paused briefly and continued, "I don't have any trusted allies besides him. Just receive letters on my behalf. They will be addressed to me, and no harm will come to you."

Shaoshang pondered his request and asked, "Why can't you do it yourself?"

"I have to visit ten more places where I believe the same will happen," Qiao Hui replied with a hint of desperation in his voice.

"You are reasonable, Lady Cheng," Qiao Hui said urgently, "If you're wondering why I asked you, I really don't have time to explain any further, and the more I explain, the more precarious your position becomes."