Chapter - 11

Qiao Hui entered the palace, wearing ministerial attire, and knelt before the emperor. The court's attention was on this 21-year-old, with over half of the court recommending him for a position.

The crown prince, however, harbored doubts about Qiao Hui's credibility, attributing his appointment to his influential family.

After the ceremony, Qiao Hui received congratulations from the ministers, and the emperor praised his battlefield achievements, expecting his continued dedication.

As the court dispersed, the crown prince awaited Qiao Hui outside. He reminded Qiao Hui that the family could secure a position but not guarantee its permanence. He pledged to judge him solely based on his work, disregarding his background.

Qiao Hui responded with a polite promise to do his best, leaving the crown prince. Finally happy to be in the capital, Qiao Hui felt that he lacked his own identity, hoping for recognition beyond his family's wealth and reputation.

Zuke remained silent as he spotted Qiao Hui leaving the palace and waiting with a carriage.

"So you have become my caretaker," Qiao Hui spoke as he walked towards him.

Zuke remained silent.

"I am exhausted from today," Qiao Hui said, standing beside Zuke and leaning on the carriage.

"It isn't even noon," Zuke remarked as he turned towards him.

"Liar! Look, it's already dark," Qiao Hui pointed towards the dark sky.

"It is going to rain!" Zuke replied, continuing without waiting for a response. "Young Master, please!" He gestured for Qiao Hui to sit in the carriage.

"I want to take a walk," Qiao Hui said and walked away.

Zuke ran and blocked his way. "Young Master, your uniform will attract attention. I advise you to-" he was cut off by Qiao Hui, who exclaimed, "You are right! I should change my clothes. Is there an extra pair of clothes in the carriage?"

Zuke nodded with disappointment.

Qiao Hui hurriedly got into the carriage and changed into another set. Zuke stood there, unable to believe his actions. He muttered, "Why do I even try?"

Qiao Hui emerged from the carriage wearing a beige-colored gown with an imprinted design that could be felt. The embroidery on it was extraordinary, with gold-plated thread.

He started walking, and Zuke followed him. People on the street noticed him, but he remained unfazed. Lost in his thoughts, he chose to walk to clear his head.

After walking a distance, he asked Zuke, "Did you find it?"

Zuke replied, "Madam Li and all the servants are fine. I checked their backgrounds thoroughly."

"Hmm," Qiao Hui replied.

"But Young Master, Madam Li served your parents."

"Still, I cannot trust anyone," Qiao Hui replied. He continued, "But I do believe you." He stopped walking and turned towards Zuke.

"Why?" he inquired.

"You couldn't defeat me even if you wanted to," Qiao Hui answered arrogantly, folding his arms.

Zuke scoffed. "You don't think I can? I am without weapons. Kill me if you can." Qiao Hui said.

"I am not a fool who would kill in the middle of the street," Zuke replied and walked away.

"What does that mean?" Qiao Hui ran behind him, catching up with his fast-paced walking.

"I am your superior. I am your general," Qiao Hui asserted.