Chapter -25

They walked, but Qiao Hui walked faster, clearly showing his anger. Shaoshang explained everything that was in the letter and handed it over to him.

As they entered his library, he said, "I understand, Lady Cheng. You can go back now."

"How can you be so calm? You should leave right now!" Shaoshang insisted.

"Without planning anything?" He questioned her as they stood face to face in the middle of the library.

"But do something," Shaoshang pleaded.

"Lady Cheng, learn to conceal your emotions. They can be used against you. And as for doing something, I will think about that," he calmly replied, showing himself to be a grudge holder.

Shaoshang couldn't sleep at night, thinking about the impending massacre. She wasn't taking no for an answer. She needed immediate action. She stopped him by standing in front of him.

"There are going to be children, and who knows what will happen. I don't understand how you can be so calm at a moment like this. You just keep your calm, I'd rather go there and help them instead," Shaoshang said urgently.

"Shaoshang, calm down. Sit down first of all," he said, taking a seat.

"Shaoshang, wars are not won by actions alone but by strategies. Sit down."

Shaoshang sat opposite him, and he extended his arm, saying, "Touch it." She hesitated for a second but realized he had a fever.

"I haven't fully recovered yet. I cannot travel long distances now," he explained. "We have some time on our hands. From what I know, they attack only when there is some kind of gathering so they can kill more people. We have four or five days."

"So what will you do?" Shaoshang asked.

"Don't know yet, but I won't make a fuss in broad daylight. Are you satisfied now?" he inquired.

She nodded and was about to get up when he interrupted. "Sit for a moment here."

After an awkward silence, he spoke in a serious tone. "Shaoshang, you were out of line outside. You accused me of something I'm not."

Shaoshang's expressions turned sad when she realized her mistake. But to her shock, he didn't shout.

"That was extremely embarrassing for me. You didn't see who was there and simply lost your cool. Shaoshang, you must learn that your actions have consequences as well."

"Circumstances made me think you did that."

"What you said outside didn't hurt me much, but the fact that you thought I would disrespect you like that did. When did I ever make you believe I would cross such a line?" he asked.

Shaoshang had nothing to say at that moment, though she listened with attentiveness. She wasn't an unreasonable girl but someone whose voice was never heard. If someone had explained things to her politely since childhood, she would be a completely different person. Rather than being loved, she had been tried to be tamed by everyone, as if she were a wild horse.

"Shaoshang, reflect on it. It was me. Think about if it was someone else who would have been falsely blamed. It would have become a scandal on a large scale."

"I'm sorry about that. I understand now."

"I can forgive you if you forgive me for that... rainy day," he said with great courage, diplomacy now in his blood.

"I've long forgiven you for that," Shaoshang said.

"I wasted an opportunity on-"

She interrupted him, saying, "I am forgiven?"