Chapter 47: The Final Showdown [Finale]

"Done." You test the flexibility of your shoulder under the new plaster. "It's not too restricting, is it?" Macaque queried.

"It's just right, love." You chirped.

He helps you with your shirt. His eyes wander to your neck where his intrusive thoughts win to plant a kiss. You shudder in response. Before you can protest, he pulls you onto his lap and embraces you. You're uncertain of the sudden action yet permit it. His hold on you becomes intimate as he tightens his grip. His hand holds the back of your head as he nestles into the crook of your neck. You reciprocate by combing your fingers through his mane earning a hum of approval. "I shouldn't have left. I would have saved everyone if I stayed put." The regret in his tone tugs at your heat-strings.

"You didn't know, and it's not your fault." You assumed, knowing well he was blaming himself.

He raises his head to look at you. The sight of your lovely face is the only thing that comforts him. You cup his face, reading his thoughts. You don't usually use your powers to force emotions onto someone, but this time, you did. Macaque did not deny consenting to the unconditional love you're giving him. "Thanks. I needed that."

"You're welcome." You chuckled, adoring his shy behavior.

___________________________________

As you step out of the shack to join the others, you notice the cracks in the sky are gradually restitching. Watching the fabric of the universe in tatters is oddly terrifying and beautiful. It wouldn't be the worst way to go if it all came down. Mei agrees commenting, "At least it's pretty."

"Oh sure, if you ignore the strong end-of-the-world vibes." Pigsy sarcastically said.

"The Pig-man is right. Azure underestimated the control it takes to wield the power of the Jade Emperor. If we don't stop him, that power is gonna tear this world apart." Nezha's information is evident. You hope Lyn and your father are safe for the most part. You're positive Lyn is internally freaking out. Memories come flooding in on all the beautiful times spent together. If anything were to happen to the world your mother fought hard to save, her death would have been in vain. All of your faith is in the hands of Sun and M.K. "Monk, have you repaired it?"

Tang unveils the fragment poorly patched up. "One repaired magical bamboo scroll coming up!"

Not even Nezha is convinced it will activate. "You can't be serious? There's no way that will hold."

"There ain't nothing a bit of tape can't fix," Sandy reassured.

"Alrighty, time to jump in there and find Monkey King," M.K. said.

Mei tugs the brunette aside hesitantly, "Wait, how do you know Monkey King is still alive?"

He quirks a brow dismissing the bad possibilities. "It's fine. It's Monkey King. That guy is indestructible." The amount of trust in Sun is astounding. Regardless, the lad is right. You're unwilling to give up on your partner, and there is no way he will admit defeat.

"Be that as it may, you have no idea what you will find or if this magical tape will even hold," Nezha added.

M.K. can see the doubt in everyone's eyes. It's frustrating that he is the only one willing to bet everything on the line for a rescue mission. "We have to try. He'd do the same for any of us." He stated.

You're proud of him for sticking to his guns. From your peripheral, Macaque is skeptical. You reach for his hand, "you know he would despite what you believe."

Macaque squeezes your hand and lets out a heavy sigh as he volunteers to travel with M.K. "Ugh, I can't believe I'm sticking my neck out for Wukong. Again." He emphasized.