Chapter 33: Reflection

(A/N): Oof! I didn't expect this chapter to suddenly hit me with inspiration but here it is ya'll. The storm is nigh.

He parted ways with you and tuned your protests out as he flew into the night sky. He cruised for hours replaying your confession. Your heart is split between two people meaning all the times shared, Macaque was possibly whirling in your mind. It's too much to bear. He wasn't enough after sacrificing his time and effort. All of his wistful insecurities blight his head into pure rage. Unknowingly, he increases the speed of his cloud over the vast sea until he could no longer contain the nimbus whole, dispersing into nothing thus plunging at a great height into the depths of the abyss. Sun sinks further and further unwilling to move. The moonlight down upon him is soothing. The feeling of drowning is exactly how he feels.

'What did I do wrong? Why wasn't I enough? I thought nothing was impossible for me to achieve. I didn't think love would be this painful.'

Flashes of his past flood through, reminding him of all the trials he's gone through, believing he had done it all safely for romance. He hadn't anticipated falling in love. The worst part was you also love Macaque, his counterpart. After having an adventure and overcoming issues, he thought he had conquered all.

'Maybe I should have ended him to the moment he came back?' He growled. 'No...that wouldn't solve anything. Neither did I run away, but I don't want to tell her the terrible things on my mind. I don't want to explode and make matters worse. If I would have stayed, I don't think I would be able to contain myself.'

Wukong grits his teeth and shouts at the top of his lungs creating a large pulse of energy. Somehow it's what he needed to cool down. Finally, he swims to the surface to find himself not far off from his island. Once ashore, he drags himself into the cave where he opens the door to the shack. Seeing it dark and empty reminded him of you. Instead, he takes his chances flopping on the floor in deep thought.
___________________________________

"Pigsy, I'm done with all the deliveries," MK announced.

"Already? That was your third trip and we're out of orders. Ya sure ya didn't just mess up?" Pigsy accused.

The brunette leans on the counter nonchalantly as he defends himself, "Of course, I didn't mess up. I just have a lot of free time on my hands without training."

"Speaking of training-" Tang intervened. "You haven't heard from Monkey King, have you?"

"Nope, and it's been a while since he told me he'd be off with (Y/n)." MK hums slowly grasping the situation.

"You don't think they're in trouble, do you?" Sandy added.

"I don't think so. I mean he said he was going to accompany (Y/n) to visit the Bull King family for answers."

The entire room becomes silent taking in what MK said before freaking out.

"The Bull King's residence? They could be in danger after all." Pigsy cried.

"Nah, Red Son wouldn't do that," Mei argued.

"It's not Red Son that's the issue, it's Bull King." Pigsy specified as Mei simply replies with "oh right" and panics herself.

"Guys hold on!" MK shouted gathering his friend's attention. "We can't just jump to conclusions. I'll go check out his island and see if he's there." MK steps out and transforms to take a flight to Flower Fruit Mountain.

         Upon landing in the empty area, MK inspects his surroundings before entering the shack. Inside, the entire room is a mess as though there was a tornado. MK begins to second-guess whether or not Monkey King and you are indeed in trouble. He uses gold vision for any residual traces of the suspect to no avail. He starts investigating for clues, but after some time he receives a text from Pigsy to deliver a final order. "Now's not the time Pigsy. I think you guys were right. Something did happen to Monkey King."

Pigsy replies, "you may want to stop and take this one kid." With those ominous words, MK reluctantly pauses for another day.

What surprised the brunette was the fact that the address is for the Shame Temple. As he approached the edge of the cliff, he finds Monkey King staring out into the horizon. MK calls out to his mentor earning a hum. "Oh, hey kid. Thanks for bringing my food." He casually takes the bag of dumplings as MK is left perplexed, searching for any signs of struggle.

"Hey? You were gone for a whole month and that's all you have to say? I got worried assuming Bull King did something to you guys. Your house is a wreck." MK said.

"Sorry, bud. I was working out and rearranging at the same time blindfolded." Sun pops a dumpling into his mouth as his student takes a seat beside him unconvinced. He stares intently finding the atmosphere weird.

"Okay, well how did it go? Did (Y/n) get the answers she was looking for?" He queried.

The name causes the simian to cringe briefly, but it doesn't go unnoticed by MK. "Yep." Sun chirped with his mouth full.

"Where is she? I didn't see her there."

Sun swallows hard trying to keep his facade. "She's staying with her father for a few weeks."

"Oh...wait her dad lives nearby?"

Sun sighs heavily in distaste, "look kid I don't want to talk about them. It's their business, not mine." He glares at the horizon recalling the past. "She made that clear." He mumbled.

MK frowns. There is more to unveil to the story that could give a reason for the month-long absence. "Did you guys end up arguing again?" The topic is not one Sun wants to talk about, but he couldn't avoid it forever either.

The sage expresses his grief as he runs through the memory of what was discussed. He balls his hand into a fist squeezing the stuffing of the dumpling. He tosses the food aside and wipes his hand with a napkin. "Yes." He said. "It's the worst one yet," Sun confessed everything that happened. The disclaimer wasn't enough to prepare MK.

"I'm...I'm so sorry Monkey King." That is all the brunette said.

"What did I do wrong? How did I not see it? The way the two spoke on the ship. Every time she and I argued. She wasn't thinking of me. She was too busy making a fool out of me with Macaque. My brother." He vented. "I knew I shouldn't have taken the risk. Mortals can be cruel." There is a long silence, safe for the cricket's singing. No amount of words could fix the pain in Wukong's heart nor did he know the entire context of the story.

"I wish I could say that's not true, but I do know during our journey, she never stopped thinking about you. Sandy told us how she was constantly worried about you, frustrated because she knew you couldn't be honest." Hearing MK display your thoughts slightly helped Sun's insecurity. "I'm not sure if she was aware of loving Macaque. She seemed to be preoccupied with you. Maybe what she said wasn't a total lie? As much as it hurts, I think you guys should talk about it instead of making false accusations."

"Easier said than done. How can I face her knowing she loves another?" Sun lamented.

"Well, it's flattering that she likes your shadow, don't you think? If I remember correctly, Macaque is your brother. Born from you. Don't you think it's nice that in a way she loves you and your other half? That means her heart always belonged to you." MK's sudden wisdom changes Sun's perspective into a bigger picture. He hadn't thought of it in such an enlightening way. It made him feel content that you were truly focused on him. His woes were no longer weighing him down, inspired to confront you after long contemplation.

Sun ruffles MK's hair and chuckles, "when did you start getting smarter, bud? I'm impressed. Teaching an old monkey new tricks." The brunette chortles, bashful by the compliment. "Whelp, I guess I better be off and visit her at her father's place."

"So that's where she is." MK and Sun shoot to their feet and turn to the mysterious voice.

"Nezha? What are you doing here?" Sun asked.

"I came to look for your girlfriend. I've been given orders to detain her by the counsel." He informed.

"What?" Wukong began to seeth in utter concern for you. "Why? What did she do?"

"I am not authorized to tell you anything, but as a friend, I can only relay a warning. Do not interfere Wukong, or you will be severely punished for any actions you plan on committing." Nezha's gaze grew serious, waiting for Sun's answer. Instead, the two are in an intimidating Mexican standoff. MK shifts between the two, unsure what will happen, but can guess the outcome wasn't going to be good.

"I appreciate the warning, but you don't expect me to give in easily, do you?" Sun remarked.

"Wukong..." Nezha's voice drops dangerously as though threateningly. Before MK could attempt to calm the men, Nezha takes off but is pulled back by Sun, restraining him.

"Kid! I need you to find (Y/n) and hide. She's staying East from here, past the city above the mountains. You'll see. It's the only house in a few miles." Sun grunted. MK was hesitant but obliged nonetheless. Nezha elbows Wukong off and swings his glaive at him.

"What are you doing? If you keep me from my job, you may not see the light of day." Nezha growled.

"Look, you maybe be righteous and strict with your job, but I'm not gonna listen to what they have to say if it means endangering my friends." Sun retorted.

"Self-righteous? I gave you a heads-up. That's not in the description. I'm trying to help you. Do you seriously think I want to do this? It's not like anything will happen to her. They just want to talk." Nezha argued.

"Don't kid yourself. You and I know what they're gonna do just like what they do every time with the Messengers." Nezha bites his lip, speechless as he recognizes the rumors about Messengers. "I am not gonna let that happen to (Y/n)."

The Lotus prince takes a second to compose and arm himself. "Alright then, I guess there is no other choice," Sun smirks ready to unload his rage onto the brute.
___________________________________

Meanwhile, you and Macaque are enjoying the starry night, connecting the constellations. "Ya know, I never expected having a partner would be this fun. It's always just been me under the stars except..." He pauses and sits up distressed.

You follow, concerned for him. "What's wrong?"

"I feel sort of guilty. Wukong can get on my nerves but he's a great guy. Here I am with you enjoying each other's company, but he's probably down in the dumps somewhere and it's all because of me."

You hug your knees reminded of reality. You are torn about both simians, but Wukong is suffering on his own. It's not that you had forgotten, you tried several times and there have been no results in confronting him. You have no idea where he is for you to even talk to him. In a way, Macaque is your distraction from the pain, though you don't feel you deserve it. "You're not the one who should feel like crap. It's me. I think we're both trying to pretend it's fine rather than feel shitty. It doesn't feel nice for either so I understand." You commented. "I am a shitty person in general. What I did to him. I just wish there was a way I can explain why I love both of you. All I can say is it's natural but even then it doesn't sound right out loud."

Macaque takes your hand and comforts you. "I understand, sugar plum. I feel naturally attracted to you as well." You smile softly, glad that he can read your thoughts to console your overthinking.  The moment is interrupted by a familiar cry above. You gasp as the bird shapeshifts into MK in mid-air. He lands safely on the grass and approaches with dire news. His skin is pale as though he's seen a ghost and all you can think to ask is, "MK, what's wrong?"

He takes a minute to catch his breath then turns to Macaque. "You have to portal (Y/n) out of here. Somewhere far away and safe."

"Whoa, slow down, bud."

"What are you talking about? What's going on?" You inquired again demanding an explanation.

"I'll explain later. Do as I say before-" MK is cut off as Wukong is suddenly slammed into the dirt, pinned by Nezha's glaive at the point. You gasp horrified to find your beloved nearly beaten to a pulp. You cry out to him but Macaque stops you.

"By order of the council, (Y/n) I am here to take you in where you will stand for judgment on behalf of your crimes as a Messenger." Your eyes widen shocked to be summoned.

"Wh-what?" That is all you said.

"If you refuse, Wukong and MK will be punished. However, accept and all will be forgiven."

"M-Macaque." Wukong groaned. "Take....take (Y/n) away. Please...brother." Did the warrior's ears deceive him? Did Wukong acknowledge him? His heart churned, conflicted between two options to save him or obey his wishes. Alas, you had decided for him.

"Please let him go!" You exclaimed. "I'll go with you, just please set my Sun free." The simian protests but you simply smile through your tears. In a way, you're accepting fate for the pain you caused. Nezha removes his glaive and summons his ship.

"Very well. Come forth so we may depart." You nod in agreement walking up to him.

"Doll..." Macaque calls out. You send him a half-hearted smile and as you pass Wukong, he holds your hand once more.

"Sweetheart, don't do this. You have no idea what they'll do to you."

You squeeze his hand back one last time and whisper, "I deserve this. I'm sorry for everything." You slip through his fingers finally boarding the ship as Nezha apologizes as well before disappearing to another realm.