Chapter 27: A Brawl for the Heart

"What are you doing here?" Sun asked sternly, quick to raise his walls against his counterpart.

Macaque finds it amusing to put Sun Wukong on edge despite being on neutral grounds. "I was summoned by your girlfriend." He started to stir the pot by shooting you a wink. "Hey, doll."

"What? Why did you call for him?"

When you trudged through the desert, you secretly connected to Macaque's soul and beckoned him. "Macaque knows where my father is staying, and I assume it's also his residence?" You gesture to the demon in the last part.

"Clever as always." He complimented. "You want me to transport you to his doorstep, right? What's in it for me?"

"I didn't realize our friendship suddenly has a price."

Macaque glares at you ticked that you would manipulate what is not. Frankly, he was tired of it. "Friendship? Seriously?" He scoffed. "That's not what it is, doll. Not to me anyway."

"It better be," Sun growled as he brings to bump heads. "If you think for a second there is something in between, you have another thing coming."

"Oh, I'm sorry. I didn't know stealing someone's girl is unacceptable. Last I checked, all is fair in love and war." Macaque slyly retorted. While he respects you, he couldn't help the tension either. He knows what he wants is you and having the chance to get close to your dad gave him a better perspective on you. He craved a connection knowing he could be a better match than Wukong.

Sun clutches Macaque's scarf. In turn, Macaque does the same. What you're about to witness is an all-out war between both deities. "I'm warning you to back off," Sun growled.

Macaque being a cheeky devil replies with, "make me." Sun instigates by throwing the first punch. You stupidly watch rather than stop the fight. It was difficult to tell when to step in when their movements were practically breaking sound barriers as they throw everything they have.

'What have I done? I have to stop this before they kill each other.'

'No, don't.'

Just then, you hear a voice. You search for the owner.

"Hello?" You sense a warm breeze running through you before you hear them again.

'They must battle and allow their primal instincts to let loose. It's their way of venting their pent-up stress.'

"What could they possibly be stressed about?"

'Surely you're not as oblivious? You know it deep in your heart where the problem lies.'

Of course, you do, but admitting it would be cruel to both of the simians. You just wanted simplicity, instead you complicated things by listening to your heart. "I did this." You said. "They're fighting over me because I haven't been honest about my feelings. I didn't ask to love both of them why can't I choose one without hurting the other?"

'You have to answer that question yourself and decide.'

As the skies rumble and the Earth shakes from their brawl, you use the moment to reflect. "I know why I love Sun Wukong. We are one and the same. He's the one who gave me the confidence I lacked, the courage for myself. Meanwhile, Macaque is my ugly truth buried with secrets of my past. Rather than accept it I want to run away making it difficult to love myself. Maybe that's why...I treat him differently?"

'Do you think it's time to get to know the real you?'

You pause, hesitant to answer. Nonetheless, you agree with the thoughts in the back of your head thankful for the small therapy session from the unwarranted voice. Finally, you close your eyes and grab ahold of both Sun and Macaque's souls.

'Enough!'

They halt their advances, shocked to hear you from a distance.

'This isn't helping anyone. Cease this quarrel. Whatever problems you have, squash them now.'

They lock eyes and then avert their gaze as opposed to the idea but complying with your wishes. As soon as they descend, you pull them in for a hug. "I'm sorry I caused this. Please bare with me and help me through my rough patch with my father. I need you to be my rock for the moment." Both boys are filled with conviction to have put you in the middle. "I promise we can sort this out later."

Macaque sighs and pulls away feeling sheepish for his poor decision. "Yeah, so uh...let's get you to your dad." He opens a portal to your father's residence. An uphill view isolated from the city. As you gawk at the modern house it reminds you of one thing.

"Home."

Note: The image above is how the house looks like