Chapter 3: Apologies

Sleep has not been kind to you after yesterday's dramatic events. There have been many times when you tossed and turned, getting a limited amount of rest. When dawn rose, you decided to stay up to use the time on reflecting your current situation. Since your return, things have gone complex. Whether it was the distance between friends, Lin's inability to say what's on her mind whilst pampering you, or even the fact that you unloaded on an immortal hero that was practically a god.

Luckily, you used an entire week off to solve every problem rather than hide in a hole avoiding the palpable issues you've created. Although fear has a hold on you, the ambition to help others is stronger whereas before you had no one to strive for. It amazes you how accurate T.V. shows depict friendship as a source of power. While the concept is new, it's also weird to consider others besides yourself anymore. One of the people you're hung up on is your boss, Lin. Since she is the first daily encounter, you've contemplated long and hard about how to confront her. You've written her entire personality, and estimated every scenario. All that is left is initiating the conversation.

'After today, I don't even know if I can stay here.' 

As you descend the stairs, the scent of freshly baked goods comforts you. There is never a dull moment when food doesn't disappoint. You take a deep breath, "ok...here I go." You mumbled. Entering the kitchen, Lin hums a tune while whisking away at a bowl of batter. Once her eyes meet yours, there is a brief glint of despair in her eyes before switching up moods.

"Good morning!" Lin chirped. "Did you sleep well?"

"Yeah...somewhat." You scrunch your face at the sudden strong feeling of force pushing you away. You lean against the table as you carefully step forward. You wondered what was going on but chose to shrug it off. "Listen, we need to talk about the accident." The mention of crash strikes fear into her heart and then grows angry. You feel the air around the room shift as if responding to Lin. You start to realize that talking for you is more complicated than anticipated. Your empathic senses start syncing to hers, but you refuse to give in.

"No. We don't have to talk about it. I understand it's not easy for you." There is a fault in her words like a cover for something else. You feel a barrier of red colors rising like a flame. To you, it indicates the level of emotion overtaking them at the moment.

"This isn't for me. It's for you?" You grunted in an attempt to fight against syncing.

"Me? Why would it be for me?" She feigns offense as to what your intentions are leading up to.

"Because you're acting strange. You give me special treatment, and y-you haven't said a word since I got here." You argued. Lin sets the bowl down in frustration. Splashes of batter now spilled on the table.

"So what? You don't like me comforting you after a traumatic experience? Fine! I'll stop treating you like a baby. Happy?" She growled. It stings the way she's mocking you. You have never heard her be rude to you before. Regardless, you know how much she's hurting. You can see it. The blue sparks blend with the dark red aura.

 "No, I need you to talk to me about why you're upset." You demanded. 

"Now is not the time. We open up in a few minutes. We can't be distracted during work hours." She's throwing excuses to avoid the subject. It's difficult to break through. An admirable trait you wish to obtain someday. Currently, you need to break her barrier before you lose to her.

"That's why it's a perfect time! You feel guilty for me. I know it. You're guilty because I almost died, but I'm fine." You don't know when or how you got close, and grasp her shoulders to feel an intense wave of emotions. You would have fallen under her, but your will is stronger. "I'm alive and well." You hear her thoughts whispering in your ear like a terrible ringing sound. You're astonished to be able to hear them. The color around her frame changes to a deep blue, and the violent whispers die down. Sadness. You have won the battle. You can see how devastated she is.