Chapter 44: The Past

The curse. Ink demon. All of it could have been prevented. The wails of your friends as they slip through your fingers now gone. Alone. You arise from the nightmare with a great gasp. Adrenaline pumps through your veins gradually calming down. You take a second to inspect your surroundings obscured by the dark, yet vivid to see by the moonlight. The sounds of the wild echoes as you wander through the jungle leading you to a river. You pause to wash your face with water. The cold refreshes as you ponder your whereabouts. You recall the final moments with your friends before you separated. The curse did not prevail, thankfully, but now you're stuck in a random chapter. "I guess I'm going to have to camp out for the night."

You suddenly catch laughter on the wind. You whip your head across the river. You haven't noticed the evident mountain sticking out like a sore thumb. You recognize the shape. "Home. I'm at Flower Fruit Mountain." You hasten past the jungle unto hiking up the spire. Once you reach a high enough point, you take a short break.

Again, you hear hysterics close by. You drag yourself off the gravel in search of the ruckus. A golden light guides you through the hallway into a dining space. You haven't fully explored Sun's mountain to know he has a separate lodging. You step back and hide behind a pillar. You scan every person sitting at the table and realize you're in the past. Demon Bull King stationed in the same room with a young Sun Wukong. Macaque is there as well, even Azure and finally two others. What's interesting is the elephant. His size and shape is similar to the curse. He throws his head back into a cackle as Wukong says,

"You dare insult me you old cad? I shall hence forth be known as the great sage equal to heaven." He pretends to sweep and proceeds, "I won't muck out your pony stalls no longer. Monkey King out." His outloundish act has you stifle a chuckle or two. His act threw you off guard. You didn't know how funny Sun used to be. Clearly his friends appreciate the entertainment with all the praises he's earned.

The cheery atmosphere switches when Macaque interposes, "You're really going through with this?"

Sun kicks his feet up on the table, "correction! We're going through with this. Like always. Monkey bros getting into some cheeky mischief."

"Look Wukong, I get you're excited. I do. But crossing the Jade Emperor is gonna have consequences aaaand you're not listening." Even in the past, Macaque is the one who is level-headed. You wish you could hold him from behind and bury your nose in his fur to comfort him.

"You always were the cowardly of the bunch, Macaque." You internally hiss at the bird seated opposite. Their pompous ego is oozing with venomous intent. The way they nit-pick Macaque for their own amusement is sickening. "Slinking around in the shadows like a rodent. Well, I for one, am done squabbling for scraps."

"Indeed. The Jade Emperor and his followers have loitered long enough with no regard for those they rule." Yellow Tusk stated as the table becomes rowdy.

"The realm is well over due for new leadership. I think we all know the best man for the job." Bull King added. Wukong assumes himself for the position only for D.B.K. to clarify a description that is Azure.

Said lion takes the floor to say his peace on the matter, "I'm flattered. Truly. But were it not for Sun Wukong bringing us together I-without you-" his eyes focus on Sun in admiration. "None of this would be possible. Your courage to stand up to the celestial host has inspired us to finally take a stand. To make a true difference in the world. I can think no other to lead us in our conquest than you, brother." Azure's words flatters Wukong as if thankful to be seen in a better light. It's impossible to deny Azure's perspective. To put a cheeky simian as the leader is unexpectedly welcoming.

The only words Sun could convey is, "alright, if you insist."

As the band returns to their festivities, you take the time to confirm your suspicions. You're in the past when Sun Wukong was in good terms with his friends. The plan to over throw the Jade Emperor. You can guess whatever will happen ends their alliance. "I can't be here." You whispered to yourself as you sneak away. "I need to leave otherwise I'll alarm the curse."