Chapter 42: Tang

(A/N): I'm so sorry for the late update I didn't realize how long it was, but here it is.

P.S: How do you guys feel about Azure Lion? I'm conflicted because I get his point of view to make a peaceful world like Thanos. However, it's not all black and white. He's definitely prideful and lionizing himself (pun intended). Anyway, for those that dislike Azure. Sorry for making reader like him. What do you guys think of him? I want to know more about him in this summer's special.

You marvel at your surroundings to find every bit of detail real; from the gravel to the sounds, and scents. It's as though you have hopped back in time. And you're not the only who believes the same. It's no wonder anyone would be eager to risk everything for a chance to revisit the good days. It's a writer's paradise for sure. However, it's not entirely as fascinating for Mei who is searching for signal while M.K. ran straight into trouble for providing "demonic accessories".

"Um...Mei?" You signaled.

"On it!" Mei drags M.K. as far away from the guards as possible into a dead end alley.

"M.K!" You started. "You nearly got us in trouble, and we haven't even begun searching."

"Sorry. I thought I could take souvenir with me." He sheepishly rubs the back of his head.

"I don't even think you can take anything from this place." You touch a wall as you recall what Azure said. "This world is literally a figment of imagination. A memory."

A ghostly figure startles everyone as they materialize into Azure Lion. "You made it in safely. Great!" He chirped. "Guys, welcome to seventeenth century Chun'an."

'So that's where we are.' You thought.

I trust you've experienced astral projection before?" You recognize the ability. It's how the Monkey King communicates during long distances. It amazes you that even in different realms it's accessible. Almost like radio contact. It makes sense considering the supernatural doesn't necessarily follow the rules of nature. "Listen, I don't have much time. Remember how I told you the scroll has a protective curse?"

"How could we forget something so life-threatening?" M.K. stated.

Dismissive, Azure proceeds, "good. Try not to draw too much attention to yourselves. The curse will detect any imperfections within it's stories."

"Like any interaction?" You inquired.

"Yes. Whatever strays off the story's path." You turn your immediate attention towards the brunette chuckling nervously. "For starters, we need to do something about your clothes to blend in."

"New outfits?" Mei's eyes shape into stars excited for a makeover.

"Yes. I found some in a trash pile nearby." He points to mountain of garbage. You scrunch your nose in disgust unwilling to dumpster dive for clothes. Thankfully, he pulls you aside and says, "you fit fine in those robes." He leans closer admiring the color coordination. The design itself is nostalgic from decades ago in his youth. He can't quite put a finger on where it comes from.

"Thank you. It was a gift from Sun Wukong." You clasp the fabric, smiling fondly on the memory. It was unexpected, yet thoughtful. "One of his favorites." You raise your head and to find Azure's gaze averted, pained to hear you speak so warmly about someone he once worshiped. There is an uneasy silence lingering in the atmosphere. You're aware you brought unwarranted information, but whether or not it was on purpose is undetermined. Part of you has been on edge since Azure's arrival. Nothing makes sense. Forced to trust a stranger because no one has any knowledge of what kidnapped Sun. Yet, the way Azure talks about Sun makes you wonder if he's a threat because you don't know him or insecure about rekindling an old flame. Whatever the case, you shouldn't judge, right?