Chapter 28: Half-Truths

"This looks just like my old home except we lived in the suburbs." You said.

"Your father renovated it to be an exact replica of the old one," Macaque informed. "He said he wanted a piece of home while he watched over you." You turn to him wide-eyed. "I guess you didn't know that?"

"He's been watching me?" You cringe at the flattering idea despite being on bad terms.

"Yes, from a distance." He affirmed. "He wanted to surprise you but couldn't find the right time. In the end, he gave up when he saw how content you are without him."

"Of course, I would be. He chose to disown me." You scoffed. "Let's get this over with."

Before you could reach for the door handle, Jin and Ying pounced on you from out of the shadows pinning you into the sidewalk. "Not so fast, stranger!" Jin exclaimed.

"You're not authorized to go in without identification," Yin stated.

"That's what I'm trying to do." You grunted, squirming underneath the boys.

"If you don't know who you are, we'll have to force you off the premises." They said in unison. Their attention turns to the simians leering at the brothers into intimidation.

"Get off the girl." Sun declared.

"Unless you want to be sent into oblivion," Macaque added. Both of them wore wicked grins that would make any demon cower in fear. Yin and Jin shoot to their feet releasing their grip on you.

"W-we're so sorry, mates. We thought you were an intruder." The pair step aside for you to enter. "So what brings you to the neighborhood?" Yin asked.

"Just fetch Lixin," Macaque commanded, shooing them.

"So Yin and Jin?" Sun started. "I would have never guessed they would be lap dogs." The demons being of service to a human is a laughable concept to the sage.

"They come in handy taking care of Lixin. In return, they get free room and board. I don't see a problem with that." Macaque defended. The two continue to have a little rivalry even though they agreed to a truce.

Just then, Jin re-enters to escort you to your father's private office where he welcomes you with open arms. He made sure to maintain distance to keep you comfortable. He's optimistically cautious that whatever leads you back to him is progress in possible reconciliation.

"My sweet puddi'n pop." You frowned at the nickname. "Please, take a seat." He offered the sofa across the coffee table in a corner with a fireplace meant for briefing, and a lovely view of the garden. You reluctantly accept. As Sun sat beside you, your father awes at him in admiration. "You must be Sun Wukong. I've heard stories about you. It's an honor my daughter has caught your eye."

The ape rubs the back of his head, uncertain to respond. You give him a nod of approval. "Um yeah...she's..." he looks at you softly. "...she's an amazing woman."

"We didn't come here for chit-chat, dad. We came for answers." You bluntly said.

"I figured as much from what Macaque has told me and your predicament." You glare at the mentioned monkey who awkwardly averts his gaze.

"I learned what I am but not who I am. I need to know everything. Who is mom? What am I? Why all the secrecy?" You inquired.

"Uh, hate to interrupt, but would anyone care for a beverage or a snack?" Yin asked.

"No." You said.

"Are you sure?" You leer at the demon into curtsying out of the room.