Chapter 1: We finally meet

It is a wonderful morning to open up shops, especially your own when many rely on a cup of Joe to start their day, or maybe some pastries to satisfy their bellies. One thing is for sure, money isn't your priority. Although, it would be a lie if you said you could continue business without it. What drags you out of bed at ungodly hours is the love you have for baking. The fresh scent of bread, the feeling of powder in your hands when you knead, and the roasting coffee beans. It is the perfect life for you.

"Order for a custard-filled donut, and a Mocha blend!" You hear your boss call out from the front desk.

"On it, Lin!" You hollered back dropping everything and pulling out a fresh batch of donuts. You set the tray aside to cool off whilst working on the coffee. Once blended, you dazzle the drink with shreds of chocolate for presentation. Next, you swipe a donut, fill it with custard then make your way to the front to serve. The customer approaches, and like magic, their exhaustion is replenished by the strong whiff of coffee. It brought a smile to your face to witness the joy on their faces as though they found a piece of mind. It brightens up your day knowing you're the source.

Speaking of smiles, a familiar teen walks in half-asleep and plops onto his seat at the bar. You smirked knowing he needed some energy to fully awaken him. "Morning, MK." You chirped.

"Ugh! Mornings are the worst." He groaned.

"Awe, don't say that. Mornings are amazing when you look forward to something." Mk glares at you tiredly as if you offended him.

"What kind of tea have you been drinking that makes you say that?"

You chuckle at his skepticism. "Here, maybe some coffee and a slice of pie will do the trick. You can't go to work on an empty stomach." You serve the kid as he takes a bite, entering his little world as though his taste buds have been blessed. A compliment towards your skills as a baker.

"This is the best cherry pie I've ever tasted~" That Is all he said before he gobbled down his dish. "That was great! You always know how to pick me up." MK sets the plate aside for you to wash then sips his coffee relaxed.

"I would hope so, we're practically good friends at this point." Yes, you and MK have become friends ever since you started working at Lin's café. He became a regular when you gave him some advice. The next day, he told you all about it. Every now, and then he brings his friend Mei in the afternoons to hang out. You are grateful that they would stay over late. It gets lonely during closing time. You didn't have many friends except for your boss, but she has a family of her own to deal with. Pigsy, who MK introduced you to as well as Tang, and lastly MK and Mei, but they are children having fun. You wouldn't exactly consider them your best friend at your age.

"Yep! Although I always say you're more like a mom to me." You quirk a half-smile, flattered. "You always worry about me and ask me to eat properly, hand me extra food, and lecture me." He listed.

"O-oh, I'm sorry if it's too much." You step back as though you were smothering the kid. The boy notices and waves his hands in reluctance.

"No, no! I didn't mean it like that. I appreciate you looking after me. Not many take a liking to me." He explained. You sighed in relief, understanding the sentiment.

"It's not a problem. That's what friends are for." There was more you wanted to say. To tell him how you can relate to a story. You know he would love to hear it given how much he prods you about who you are. However, you don't want to give too much away for your reasons. It's difficult to talk about yourself with anyone when you constantly feel like you would be a burden. So you keep your past locked up like a dog guarding a house.

"Whelp! I gotta get going before Pigsy scolds me for being late. See ya later, (Y/n)."

"Tell Pigsy I said hi!" You wave farewell to the lad as he sets off.