Part One: Eighteen Years Later

"Aila, how was the first class flight you just took?"

Aila huffed into her headphones.

"Why must you emphasize the fact I flew first class? It's a long flight. I can't imagine not flying first class."

"Yes Ma'am!"

"Brian..."

"Ok, ok, I was just saying. You checked into the hotel already?"

"Yeah, they had a small bus for us ready outside the Airport. We are settled."

"How's Seoul? Got any plans today?"

"I'm so damn tired but everyone wants to go out for dinner today to celebrate." Aila had a smile on her face.

She was one of the head researchers and manager for one of the top cancer research centers of the country. She had worked hard, with many years of sleepless nights, stressful nights and lost nights.

But all those years paid off. Her team got together with another cancer research team from South Korean and had developed what others are claiming to be the cure for cancer.

They had found two new treatments.

One was a smart treatment. A chemotherapy considered smart in the sense that it was able to distinguish at the cellular level which cells where malignant or infected and which weren't. It didn't attack good cells in the body, so people didn't have any side effects and It was better than radiation, because it didn't burn the the skin or the organs around the treated areas.

This new chemotherapy only attacked cancerous cells trying to multiply to form tumors or trying to spread.

They had also developed a test for people who wanted to her see if they had any chances of getting cancer. The test was able to pinpoint to the areas with abnormal cell, before the cells even began to multiply or attack its own system. They created pills that when taken made sure to rewrite the reproductions of the cells to its normal one, avoiding cancer from forming all together, or would kill the cells before they turned malignant.

The discovery had been made many years ago before they officially made it public. Because it was such a sensitive topic, it took a lot of years of development, trials and acceptance. They need to make sure everything worked 100%, no matter what type of cancer it was.

It had been 16 long years.

When the research came out, it brought many attention to the teams. After all, the past trials proved what they claimed this new medicine did.

And there were the people who didn't believe. The conspiracy theories. The ones that claimed this was a new way for the government to control and track its citizens.

Aila wanted to choke those people. So much of her life has been put into this research.

Aila's heart went out to her mom. She still remembers when her mother refused to go to the hospital, even when her cancer was back.

How the cancer spread and when they finally convinced her mother to get hospitalized, it was too late. Her lungs were filled with liquid containing cancer cells. Her chest erupted with sores from the radiation and her blood had an infection.

Her mother was tire of the chemotherapies, of the surgeries, of all the pills she had to take. So she refused to go back to the same thing. She lost hope in medicine.

And she died, because of cancer.

Even after all those years she remembers her and wonders if she'll be proud of her.

"Well baby I'm just glad all your hard work is coming out and you are getting the recognition you deserve."

"Brian, I have a whole team that made all of this possible and we worked with the amazing researchers here in Seoul."