Chapter VII: Celeste Wong

Celeste's Perspective.

We've been stuck on this rock for so long, I've stopped counting the number of days. We came upon a massive mountain and reckoned that the ship is most likely at its peak.

To make matters worse, the infection on my arm has began spreading and Michael isn't acting like Michael. I'm acting as though I don't see anything or notice. It's not my business anyway. Jen can handle whatever that is. My focus is just getting to the ship, fixing this arm, and getting off this celestial giant.

I miss home.

"Hey, Celeste! Do you think you can climb this mountain without gear or any technological assistance? I mean... your arm looks pretty bad."   Michael shouted from a distance, standing next to Jennifer. He seemed genuinely concerned when he asked the question, but when he made that last comment about my arm... he grinned at me.

"We can find another way up. We just have to look."  Jennifer said with a shake in her voice. She was definitely worried about me. Searching for another way up, she began pacing along the mountain, analyzing it. I knew that there was no other way though. Climbing was the only option.

Michael still had that grin on his face. He stared at me. I felt uneasy because of it. He wasn't staring at me inappropriately or anything, but his eyes were just dead. He also never smiled. So, his grin just made it worse.

"Jen! It's okay. I'll be able to climb. Let's just get to the ship."  I announced. It was an attempt to calm Jennifer down and to get Michael to lay off with the staring. Luckily, it worked for the latter.

"That's the spirit, Celeste. A true team player and leader you are."   He said, chuckling slightly. Well, at least I got him to stop staring at me.

I walked towards the mountain and began looking for places with firm grip to climb. Jennifer was still worried, as always. However, she let me do what I did, nonetheless.

I began climbing. After reaching a certain point, I looked down. Fear settled in, but I wasn't going to show it. That would only start more trouble. So, I invited them to join me.

"Why y'all standing down there like a bunch of mannequins? Come on! Let's get going!"  I spoke with confidence as I continued climbing.

Michael howled like a wolf and began climbing. Jennifer followed. And so, the climb began. We were lucky enough to have the sun set after hours upon hours of hiking. It set for the first time since we stepped foot of this planet.

Not going to lie... the sunset was beautiful. A true remarkable sight.

Jennifer's Perspective.

We weren't going to make it. This mountain was too steep. We haven't even climbed that high yet. I'd say we were about 108 meters above sea level. Not that this rock had an ocean to begin with.

Celeste was ahead of us, climbing like a beast on anabolic steroids. She was really determined. It was below me, climbing slowly. He could probably climb faster if he wanted to.

I was weary of him. He hasn't changed after that reveal. Which could be either a great thing or a horrible thing.

Little stones and pebbles fell and tumbled down the mountain as we climbed. We climbed and climbed. After hours upon hours of climbing, the sun rose and settled at a point. It heated the mountain. Luckily, not too hot to touch.

We climbed for about another hour without a break. Celeste ahead of us and myself being slower than a sloth on painkillers. It climbed up next to me, slowing down to my pace.