Chapter V: The 60-Kilometer Stretch

Celeste's Perspective

I don't even know how long we've been on this rock. I feel like it's been weeks, but night only occurred once. The sun is scorching today. Even though this planet is the twenty-third planet from this sun, it feels as though we're on Venus.

We've been walking for a while now.

"Sixty-three Kilometers from your destination."

Whoever created this A.I. System is a genius. It seems like it knows precisely what you're thinking. Kind of scary, in a way.

Putting that aside, things seem to be going well... for now. Even though Michael became our leader by default, he still insisted that I walk in front. Maybe he just wants to give me that sense of leadership as compensation for Graham's...

... I miss you... so much, my love.

Everything would've been so much better if you were still here. I miss your warmth and that overbearing confidence as well. I miss your sincerity and your helpfulness in dire situations.

I don't care about this world or even Earth for that matter. Saving humanity is worthless if you're not here. But I know you would've wanted me to carry on no matter what.

I just feel... empty and scared without you. And with Michael behind me, watching like a hawk, it's not helping this rotting feeling inside.

My mind is wandering to places where it shouldn't be. I just want to get off this shithole.

Every step feels like a loop. The scorch of this world's sun feels at least twice as bad as a summer's day on Earth and I'm so thirsty.

Jennifer's Perspective

I downed my 750ml bottle of water like shots of tequila. It quenched my thirst well, for now at least. I could see Celeste was doing the same. The star of this system is no joke.

I'm walking behind Michael and although everything appears hunky-dory... I sense this ominous presence from him. He's watching her, isn't he? I can't just ignore what he said in his sleep, plus that look in his eyes when he woke up. He was ready for war.

"Regret... they'll see... I WILL KILL ALL OF THEM."

"So... you guys finally made it. It took you quite some time. Something kept you, Jennifer?"

Even if he's planning malicious deeds in that maze he calls his brain, I still don't get the drastic change in his attitude or his way of speaking. Compared to how he was when we got here and how he began acting after the "Hole Incident", it's almost like he became an entirely different person.

No...

It's like he's two different people simultaneously.

Dissociative Identity Disorder?... maybe. Either way, I must figure him out before things get too complicated. He's not too far off for me to help him.

Yes...

Help! That's all he needs! He needs my help. I can help him.

Don't you worry Michael. I'll figure you out soon enough. Then things will go back to the way they used to be.

I just hope that Celeste won't interfere in my plans to help Michael... otherwise, with the genius he is, things could turn out for the worst.

"Sixty-two Kilometers to your destination"