Chapter IV: The Explanation

Michael's Perspective

"Day 38 on Planet Alpha... Well thirty-eight Earth days anyway. They haven't noticed... yet. This planet's rotation is exponentially slower than Earth's rotation, both on its axis and around its star.

My plan to trap Jennifer in that hole failed. Killing her would seem a bit extreme, so I kicked her down a whirlwind hole. It was supposed to cushion her fall, however, I did not take her weight into account.

Slight miscalculation.

Oh well, guess I just must travel with them. The distance I relocated the ship to is a little too far, but it'll have to do for now. I cannot do that again, otherwise they will start becoming suspicious of the situation. I have a feeling Jennifer is already suspicious.

I will have to come up with a scenario to confuse her rather than trying to convince her. The confusion will bring down her suspicions to a reasonable level.

If it were any other day of the week, I probably would not have hesitated to kill her... but this time I did. I wonder why. Have I grown attached? Why do I hesitate with her? She's just a human, right?

Doubting myself won't solve anything. Right now, my focus should be on gaining their trust again. I saw that Celeste hurt her arm in some way. If I can fix that, I can gain her trust and the rest will fall into place.

However, currently I should rest.

This dam's water is pristine. Clearer than any water the Earth could offer and more reflective than any diamond. Speaking of diamonds, my intuition tells me that the higher-ups in the U.S. government probably chose this planet because of its infinite resources.

Pretty smart, but they should try hiding their intentions better.

I'm glad that there is no sentient life on Planet Alpha. That would have meant fighting and combat would have meant exposing my physical abilities. Not ideal for my plan.

I'm so tired..." He said with his back laid against a rock. His body immersed in the lukewarm dam water. He hasn't had any sleep since they left the campsite three Earth days ago. He slowly shut his eyes for a split second and fell asleep on the rock.

Celeste's Perspective

I was pretty stupid to think I could survive on my own on this desolate, floating, cosmic rock. Jennifer welcomed me back with open arms, but will he? I feel like I don't deserve it either way.

I acted out on them because of Graham's death. Pretty pathetic, am I right? Acting like a stuck-up bitch because of my boyfriend's death. I should apologize to Michael as well, even though I don't like him.

Jennifer is acting strange though... deep in thought. I wonder, what's on her mind? Probably the thought of dying of hunger or thirst... or maybe she's mourning Gray's death more than I thought. OR... he did something.

Still don't know where we're going.

"Hey Jennifer! Which way are we going? My radar says we're moving towards the ship, but I don't think we're taking the best route."

"We're going up that hill, then in between the woods... Michael is there." She said with a straight face, tilting her head up towards the large, oddly shaped turquoise trees.

"How could you possibly know that?"

"Intuition, I guess. I know Michael. He got tired and found a resting place, most likely. Knowing him... the spot he chose probably has resources for him to use as he wishes." Her words made sense to me, but I couldn't understand why she wanted to get to him so urgently. Every step she took echoed through the open space. The sounds of the insects within the woods grew louder as we entered it.