•Chapter Twenty Six•

*The Party mom*

It was Sunday morning, and I decided to take Calvin home early. I didn't want to take him to church just yet; I'll wait until he gets a little older. As I was packing his bottles, I called Chara and put her on speaker. She didn't answer the first time, so I called her again.

"Hello?!?" She answered with an attitude.

"Aye, little girl! Wake up; I'm about to send Calvin home."

"Why so early?" She asked.

"Because I gotta be at work by two today, and I want some sleep before I go in. Besides, today is your day! Don't act like you don't know, Chara."

"Well, can't you just take off of work and keep him tonight?? You can bring him back tomorrow!"

"Chara, no! I have to work tomorrow after school. His daycare can only keep him for so long. And why are you acting like you can't get him back today? You got plans or something?"

"Never mind, Gavin, just hurry up and drop him off!" Said Chara with an angry voice.

I hung up in her face, and Calvin started crying. I picked him up and put his pacifier in his mouth so I could strap him to his seat. I already changed his diaper and fed him. Is there something I'm missing? I walked around the apartment trying to find out what I was missing, and then I saw the rash cream sitting on the bathroom counter. OHHH!! I grabbed the rash cream and put it in his bag.

I picked up his car seat and his bags, and then we made our way to the car. Meanwhile, during the drive, Calvin started crying again, and his pacifier fell out of his mouth. There was a red light ahead, so I stopped at the traffic light and picked up his pacifier, then I put it back in his mouth. He spat it out and continued to cry.

"Come on, Calvin, not now!" I said, trying to get him to stop crying.

He started hollering, and the light turned green, so I put my focus back on the road and pulled over at McDonald's. I unbuckled his seat belt, then picked him up and started rocking him. I tried to put the pacifier in his mouth, but he didn't want it. I knew he wasn't hungry; I fed him before we left. Maybe he was having one of those crybaby moments where he hollers for no reason. I put him over my shoulder, and rubbed his back, while I was patting his butt. He continued to holler, and I wasn't sure if it was because he was sleepy or if it was the rash.

I took off his diaper and rubbed some rash cream on him. I saw the red mark as it appeared on him. It was the rash that was bothering him.

"Looks like mommy is going to have to take you to the doctor," I told him.

After I put his diaper back on, I rocked him for a few more minutes, but the crying didn't stop. I put his pacifier in his mouth and strapped him back in his seat. It was already going on ten, and I needed to go back home. I got back on the road, and he continued to cry. Eventually, he ended up crying himself to sleep, and the rest of the ride was quiet. I pulled up to Chara's house and knocked on her door.

I was knocking for a while, but nobody seemed to answer the door. I called this girl and told her I was on the way; why is she still sleeping? I put down his car seat and grabbed my phone to call her. But her mom came to the door and opened it.

"Hey, Ms. Cassandra, where is Chara?"

"Still asleep!"