235 | His Resolve

Start from the beginning

    "There wasn't much, but I'll tell you everything I know when we get back in our dorms. For now, we should head to our classroom before we're later. If you think sir Barron is a terror, wait till you see our class adviser," Keigo then says as the three of them head to Class II-A, Max still completely dazed after his encounter with their troublesome yet mysterious roommate.

...

"You can sit with us at the back," Keigo says when they finally arrive in their room. As soon as they got inside, everyone immediately stopped what they were doing to look at them. Particularly at Max.

     As Max expected for an A-Class, there are nineteen gaffers out of thirty students in the room. But despite having more gaffers, the class is still divided into divisions. The gaffers took over the front and middle seats while the dwellers were sitting at the back.

     Max could recognize the other gaffers since he had stained red paint on them earlier, but it seemed like they had changed uniforms. Max thought they had time to change at their dorms, but then he saw the dwellers sitting in the back, and their uniforms were stained instead. Max remembered that most of them didn't target the dwellers, so it only meant they were forced to change clothes with the gaffers so they wouldn't get in trouble. 

      "I'm sorry, but where do you guys actually sit?" Max then asks since there aren't any available seats in the room anymore.

     Keigo nervously laughs because he knows Max would get mad at him if he found out where they actually sit. But since there's no going around it, Keigo leads Max at the far back. Max was at least expecting to find chairs, but when Keigo brought him to their supposed seats, Max was surprised to see piles of newspapers on the floor instead, instantly making Max look back at his dear friend like he was crazy.

     "You sit...on the floor?" Max asks, suddenly remembering the time their previous classmates pulled a prank on him and literally hid his chair at the stadium.

     "We've asked the janitors to bring seats for us, but the others always hide them the next day, so we just gave up and decided to sit on the floor instead," Xander explains with a soft voice so the gaffers wouldn't hear him complaining.

     Max stares at the floor again before bravely glaring at the gaffers who are snickering at them. But before Max could say anything, another serf entered the room, who was also covered in red paint like Max was. Apparently, this was the same guy who grabbed Max by the collar earlier at the cafeteria.

     The serf enters the room in a hurry. He walks towards Xander, but when he sees Max, he immediately turns away from him, probably feeling awkward after what happened between them. No one else enters the room anymore, so it seems like there are only four serfs in their class, including Max.

    "Hey, what's your name?" Max suddenly asks, making the serf look back at him.

     The serf is hesitant at first, but he finally turns to look at Max and answers, "Stefan Kross. But Stefan is fine."

     "Nice to meet you, Stefan," Max says with a smile, glad that Stefan decided to speak with him. "I saw you running towards those gaffers earlier to get paint on them too. Thanks for backing me up out there," Max says next, and Stefan finally looks away from Max again.

     After a while, a nun enters the room, immediately making everyone stand to greet her. She was tall, and her eyes were sharp and intimidating. It also didn't help that the uniform she wore reminded them of a particular nun in a horror movie. Her presence was definitely eerie, which fit perfectly with the school's terrible atmosphere.